Schiavo autopsy finds no sign of trauma

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
Matt
What color are leaves?: Green
Spam?: No

Postby Matt » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:16 am

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/06/15/schiavo.autopsy.ap/index.html

LARGO, Florida (AP) -- Terri Schiavo did not suffer any trauma prior to her 1990 collapse and her brain was about half of normal size when she died, according to results released Wednesday of an autopsy conducted on the severely brain-damaged woman.

Pinellas-Pasco Medical Examiner Jon Thogmartin concluded that there was no evidence of strangulation or other trauma leading to her collapse.

He also said she did not appear to have suffered a heart attack and there was no evidence that she was given harmful drugs or other substances prior to her death.

Autopsy results on the 41-year-old brain damaged woman were made public Wednesday, more than two months after Schiavo's death ended an internationally watched right-to-die battle that engulfed the courts, Congress and the White House and divided the country.

She died from dehydration, he said.

He said she would not have been able to eat or drink if she had been given food by mouth as her parents' requested.

"Removal of her feeding tube would have resulted in her death whether she was fed or hydrated by mouth or not," Thogmartin told reporters.

Thogmartin said that Schiavo's brain was about half of its expected size when she died March 31 in a Pinellas Park hospice, 13 days after her feeding tube was removed.

"The brain weighed 615 grams, roughly half of the expected weight of a human brain. ... This damage was irreversible, and no amount of therapy or treatment would have regenerated the massive loss of neurons."
-Matt

MK

Postby MK » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:47 am

Did her parents accuse the husband of foul play? I didn't follow the initial mud-slinging.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Matt
What color are leaves?: Green
Spam?: No

Postby Matt » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:07 pm

Initially, I believe her parents did claim physical abuse. In reality, she supposedly suffered from bulimia which produced a potassium imbalance which in turn caused a cardiac arrest.
-Matt

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Re: Schiavo autopsy finds no sign of trauma

Postby lukpac » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:08 pm

"The brain weighed 615 grams, roughly half of the expected weight of a human brain. ... This damage was irreversible, and no amount of therapy or treatment would have regenerated the massive loss of neurons."

Nice to see that buried at the end of the story.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:15 pm

lukpac wrote:

Nice to see that buried at the end of the story.

But a MIRACLE from JEEBUS could have saved her. You don't know!
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:57 pm

Jeebus regrows brains!

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

dcooper

Postby dcooper » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:31 pm

Rspaight wrote:Jeebus regrows brains!

Ryan

Obviously he doesn't...have you heard an evangelical talk recently?
Dan

The language and concepts contained herein are
guaranteed not to cause eternal torment in the
place where the guy with the horns and pointed
stick conducts his business. - FZ

czeskleba

Postby czeskleba » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:25 pm

MK wrote:Did her parents accuse the husband of foul play? I didn't follow the initial mud-slinging.

There's been allegations of physical abuse prior to her collapse and allegations that he gave her some sort of drug which induced the collapse. I don't know that the family ever directly said these things, but many of the wackos supporting them threw these rumors around.

This article doesn't mention but the autopsy also found she was blind (the vision centers of her brain were totally gone), thus debunking the parents' claim that she sometimes recognized and smiled at them when they entered the room.

Dob

Postby Dob » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:12 pm

krabapple wrote:But a MIRACLE from JEEBUS could have saved her. You don't know!

To anyone who believes that Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead, regrowing a brain would be no biggie.

But if that's what you believe, why not pray for healing, instead of praying that some court orders the reinsertion the feeding tube? Talk about a wimpy prayer...perhaps you don't even need God for that, just a better lawyer.

If you're going to pray for divine intervention, you might as well "swing for the fences." And, in that case, the whole feeding tube issue becomes irrelevant as to whether God is going to work a miracle (or not).
Dob
-------------------
"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance" -- HL Mencken

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:48 am

czeskleba wrote:This article doesn't mention but the autopsy also found she was blind (the vision centers of her brain were totally gone), thus debunking the parents' claim that she sometimes recognized and smiled at them when they entered the room.

...and also totally demolishing Dr. Bill Frist's armchair diagnosis on the floor of the Senate:

Kitty Killer wrote:"I question it based on a review of the video footage which I spent an hour or so looking at last night in my office,” he said in a lengthy speech in which he quoted medical texts and standards. “She certainly seems to respond to visual stimuli.”

File that one away for 2008...

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Stretcher Case

Kat Killer Lies to Matt Lauer

Postby Stretcher Case » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:05 am

Majority Leader Bill Frist this morning on the Today Show:

LAUER: But when you stood on the floor and you said, She does respond, are you at all worried that you led some senators…

FRIST: I never said, She responded. I said I reviewed the court videotapes – the same ones the other doctors reviewed – and I questioned, Is her diagnosis correct?
ALHAJI ADAMU IDRIS IS NOT HAPPY THAT YOU DEMANDED HIS PASSPORT.

krabapple

Re: Kat Killer Lies to Matt Lauer

Postby krabapple » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:28 am

Stretcher Case wrote:Majority Leader Bill Frist this morning on the Today Show:

LAUER: But when you stood on the floor and you said, She does respond, are you at all worried that you led some senators…

FRIST: I never said, She responded. I said I reviewed the court videotapes – the same ones the other doctors reviewed – and I questioned, Is her diagnosis correct?

Has anyone scanned Frist's head lately? I suspect he's got some alien insect overlord in there, rather than a human brain.

(the Queen, btw, lives in Rove's head).
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:10 pm

Wow -- Frist out-and-out lied on national television.

Source for my quote above, in which Frist claims she did "respond":

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... Mar18.html

Ryan

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:27 pm

MK

Postby MK » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:53 pm

Let's be fair. Maybe Frist is a lousy doctor.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto