Supreme Court upholds federal ban of all weed use

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
MK

Supreme Court upholds federal ban of all weed use

Postby MK » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:42 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050606/ap_ ... MlJVRPUCUl

Long story short, medical marijuana is illegal - state laws cannot overturn federal bans on medical marijuana (currently ten states have such laws). BUT, if Congress passes a law that legalizes medical marijuana, then it would be okay. So any legalization would have to be done at the federal level.

Decision was 6 to 3.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:05 pm

God forbid anyone should feel good in this country.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

dcooper

Postby dcooper » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:51 pm

What about states' rights? The conservatives should be up in arms over this egregious, overreaching judicial activism.
Dan

The language and concepts contained herein are
guaranteed not to cause eternal torment in the
place where the guy with the horns and pointed
stick conducts his business. - FZ

MK

Postby MK » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:51 pm

You'd think there was some middle ground that could be reached, like developing pot in pill or even injection form and having it administered by a medical professional, like vaccines or allergy injections are. The plaintiffs:

Monson, 48, of Oroville, was prescribed marijuana by her doctor in 1997, after standard prescription drugs didn't work or made her sleepy. She is battling degenerative spine disease.

Raich suffers from scoliosis, a brain tumor, chronic nausea and other problems.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

RDK

Postby RDK » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:06 pm

MK wrote:You'd think there was some middle ground that could be reached, like developing pot in pill or even injection form

They do - it's called Marinol.
ray