Terri Schiavo Dies

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
Ess Ay Cee Dee

Terri Schiavo Dies

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:21 am

CNN is reporting that Terri Schiavo passed away this morning.

All I can say is I'm glad the poor woman is out of her misery. Rest in peace.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:33 am

That's the first good news I've heard out of this whole sorry circus. Rest in peace, indeed. (And maybe now the other patients at the hospice can get the peace and quiet they need as well, without lunatic protestors harassing them in their last days.)

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Rob P

Postby Rob P » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:48 am

I had a twinge of sadness when I heard she died, but I'm glad for her that she can finally move on.

(And maybe now the other patients at the hospice can get the peace and quiet they need as well, without lunatic protestors harassing them in their last days.)

Thanks for bringing that up. I can't imagine what the staff and patients are going through there. The protestors should be criticized by the media for creating a lot more suffering for everyone else during this ordeal.

CitizenDan

Postby CitizenDan » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:54 am

Now begins the interesting part. Which way will the pendulum swing? Will the wild-eyed life-at-any-cost types be emboldened out of anger that things didn't go their way for once? Or will the amazing levelheadedness shown by the judges in this case strengthen those who were fighting for personal liberty?

And what will be the fallout for Frist, DeLay, Bush, and the other shitbags who shamelessly exploited this undeniably tragic situation for political gain?
We were right about Vietnam. We were right about Nixon. We were right about Reaganomics. Trust us -- we're right about Bush, too.

dudelsack

Postby dudelsack » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:35 am

Anyone see last night's South Park? Trey and Matt are at their best, IMO, when they have something like this to work with. A great episode that also managed to work in the PSP launch...

dcooper

Postby dcooper » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:44 pm

CitizenDan wrote:Now begins the interesting part. Which way will the pendulum swing? Will the wild-eyed life-at-any-cost types be emboldened out of anger that things didn't go their way for once? Or will the amazing levelheadedness shown by the judges in this case strengthen those who were fighting for personal liberty?

And what will be the fallout for Frist, DeLay, Bush, and the other shitbags who shamelessly exploited this undeniably tragic situation for political gain?

Unfortunately, there will be little or no fallout for the shitbags. Even though the vast majority of Americans opposed their efforts, they can still spin it as protecting the "sanctity of life," which the base will love. Besides, by the time of the midterms, this story will be out of the news, everyone will have signed their living wills and moved on, and the matter will be dropped.
Dan

The language and concepts contained herein are
guaranteed not to cause eternal torment in the
place where the guy with the horns and pointed
stick conducts his business. - FZ

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:47 pm

Now begins the interesting part. Which way will the pendulum swing? Will the wild-eyed life-at-any-cost types be emboldened out of anger that things didn't go their way for once?

I see Terri Schiavo becoming a martyr figure for these folks. Expect a new wave of "Terri's Laws" to take powers away from the spouse in these cases. I read a blog somewhere (don't remember where) that imagined people would start wearing little pieces of elbow macaroni as symbolic "feeding tubes". That's just loopy enough to happen.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:24 pm

CitizenDan wrote:And what will be the fallout for Frist, DeLay, Bush, and the other shitbags who shamelessly exploited this undeniably tragic situation for political gain?

Maybe we should ask Frist about the sanctity of cats' lives and Bush about the sanctity of frogs' lives. And DeLay about the sanctity of rats' lives.
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

dcooper

Postby dcooper » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:31 pm

Patrick M wrote:Maybe we should ask Frist about the sanctity of cats' lives and Bush about the sanctity of frogs' lives. And DeLay about the sanctity of rats' lives.

Cats, frogs, & rats don't vote, but if they did, I imagine they would be environmentalists - or in the case of rats, interested in homelessness issues - so they probably aren't voters those 3 would be interested in courting.
Dan

krabapple

Re: Terri Schiavo Dies

Postby krabapple » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:13 pm

Ess Ay Cee Dee wrote:CNN is reporting that Terri Schiavo passed away this morning.

All I can say is I'm glad the poor woman is out of her misery. Rest in peace.

The thing is, Terri Schiavo, the person, 'died' when her cortex was replaced largely by by cerebrospinal fluid.

Terri Schiavo's body died today.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

dcooper

Postby dcooper » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:18 pm

Here is a link to a few photos from a guy who infiltrated the protesters at the hospice: http://www.livejournal.com/community/ki ... tml#cutid1
Dan