NPR Stupidity - Juan Williams is a hack

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
User avatar
Rspaight
Posts: 4384
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:48 am
Location: The Reality-Based Community
Contact:

NPR Stupidity - Juan Williams is a hack

Postby Rspaight » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:12 pm

Juan Williams (who shows up on Fox a lot) just belched up someone particularly noxious commentary on NPR. He called Bush's 51% a "mandate," for starters, which is absurd. Do you think the media would give Kerry a "mandate" if he won with 51%?

Even worse, though, was this, which I'm paraphrasing from memory. THe question was about if the country was divided.

I think if you ask people questions like, "Do we believe in family? Do we believe in God? Do we believe in the right to own a gun?", that you'll find we aren't divided that much.


That's right, we're all Republicans deep down. Some of us just don't know it yet.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Ess Ay Cee Dee
Posts: 1458
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:35 pm
Contact:

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:17 pm

If those are the only three issues that matter to people, then we're in more trouble than I thought.

Who the fuck doesn't believe in "family"? I don't recall any anti-family campaign platforms in recent history.

Do "we" believe in God? I don't, but apparently I'm in the minority. The fact that religious beliefs are playing any part in peoples' decisions scares the shit out of me.

Gun rights? Come on. There are enough legitimate reasons for the country to be divided. I don't think many people voted for Baby Bush solely because of his stand on gun rights.

User avatar
dudelsack
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:51 pm

Postby dudelsack » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:17 pm

Well, it's MORE of a mandate than he had last time. I don't expect a lot of official GOP commentary in that regard, though, because that would acknowlege that they didn't have one last time.

Sure would be a lot easier to be dumb and Republican.

Ess Ay Cee Dee
Posts: 1458
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:35 pm
Contact:

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:20 pm

dudelsack wrote:Sure would be a lot easier to be dumb and Republican.


I think you've gotten to the heart of the matter right there. It is indeed much easier to be a fucking reactionary asshole than it is to approach things from a sober, thoughtful, intellectual vantage point.

It's not surprising at all that our fast-food, sound-bite populace has once again elected an idiot.

User avatar
Rspaight
Posts: 4384
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:48 am
Location: The Reality-Based Community
Contact:

Postby Rspaight » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:52 pm

The fact that religious beliefs are playing any part in peoples' decisions scares the shit out of me.


Nail on the head.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

User avatar
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout
Posts: 4589
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:51 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby lukpac » Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:50 pm

Ess Ay Cee Dee wrote:I don't think many people voted for Baby Bush solely because of his stand on gun rights.


Link to Amy's blocg

Read the comments.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

User avatar
Patrick M
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 6:33 pm
Location: LukPac Land

Postby Patrick M » Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:27 pm

Ess Ay Cee Dee wrote:The fact that religious beliefs are playing any part in peoples' decisions scares the shit out of me.

Are you surprised?
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Ess Ay Cee Dee
Posts: 1458
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:35 pm
Contact:

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:35 pm

Patrick M wrote:
Ess Ay Cee Dee wrote:The fact that religious beliefs are playing any part in peoples' decisions scares the shit out of me.

Are you surprised?


No, I'm not surprised in the least. I'm just disgusted and terrified.

Ess Ay Cee Dee
Posts: 1458
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:35 pm
Contact:

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:39 pm

lukpac wrote:
Ess Ay Cee Dee wrote:I don't think many people voted for Baby Bush solely because of his stand on gun rights.


Link to Amy's blocg

Read the comments.


That may have been one of the issues that people like "Terry" focused on. However, I think that a blind lust for Biblical revenge, fear of homosexuals, hatred/fear of all non-whites, etc. are the prime motivators for many of the Bushies. Things like gun rights and affordable health care are secondary issues to these people, if they think of them at all.

User avatar
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout
Posts: 4589
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:51 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby lukpac » Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:45 pm

I'm not so sure. Just before the election we got a flyer from the NRA saying "KERRY WANTS TO TAKE YOUR GUNS AWAY".

I know Terry. He's a smart and (generally) reasonable person. He even used to participate here. I just think if that's how *he* thinks, I can't *imagine* what the people who aren't smart think.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Ess Ay Cee Dee
Posts: 1458
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:35 pm
Contact:

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:53 pm

lukpac wrote:I'm not so sure. Just before the election we got a flyer from the NRA saying "KERRY WANTS TO TAKE YOUR GUNS AWAY".


Well, consider the source. That's their entire platform.

I know Terry. He's a smart and (generally) reasonable person. He even used to participate here. I just think if that's how *he* thinks, I can't *imagine* what the people who aren't smart think.


You may be right. I've managed to successfully avoid guns and gun-owners for most of my life, so I don't have much knowledge of that particular subculture.

It does indeed scare me to think of what's going through the alleged minds of the "stupid" Bush supporters. The bullshit I've heard spew from the mouths of intelligent Bush supporters is scary enough.

User avatar
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout
Posts: 4589
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:51 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby lukpac » Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:55 pm

Ess Ay Cee Dee wrote:Well, consider the source. That's their entire platform.


The point is that so many people *listen* to that platform.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Ess Ay Cee Dee
Posts: 1458
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:35 pm
Contact:

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:00 pm

lukpac wrote:
Ess Ay Cee Dee wrote:Well, consider the source. That's their entire platform.


The point is that so many people *listen* to that platform.


I'm not disagreeing. Your point is well taken.

Just imagine how cool it would be if the freaks who are terrified of having their gun rights taken away would devote that much time and energy to the rest of the Bill of Rights.

Gee Oh Are Tea
Posts: 440
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:54 pm
Location: Fallujah, Ontario

Postby Gee Oh Are Tea » Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:34 pm

The next war will be like the Super Bowl: The Christian Republic of The United States Of America versus the Islamic Republic Of Iran.

This may sound perverse but I'm really going to enjoy this (the next four years of disaster). Bush's economic policies (and the cost of oil) have put our Canadian dollar at a 12-year high. They're already talking about higher interest rates and higher taxes to bail out the US economy (which could lead to recession). The situation in Iraq is going to get much worse, I believe.

The election has been a nice distraction for Bush. Now he has to get back to all of his fuck-ups.

Cliff

User avatar
Rspaight
Posts: 4384
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:48 am
Location: The Reality-Based Community
Contact:

Postby Rspaight » Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:41 pm

The election has been a nice distraction for Bush. Now he has to get back to all of his fuck-ups.


The only satifisfaction I take in Bush's victory is that he's going to get stuck with the business end of his first term.

As far as guns go, some people obsess over this like others obsess over target CDs. I don't have a problem with private gun ownership as long as the damn things are registered and the barrel patterns tracked. But even that's too much for some, who harbor wild paranoid fantasies about Janet Reno visiting their house to take their guns away. (I think we had a thread about this a long time ago.)

When the American Taliban comes for you, it won't be because of your gun.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney