Ripping CDs/Sync error

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:50 am

I should really add some more...

Can you hear it in "normal" listening? Not likely. Can you spot it? Depending on the source, perhaps. If you phase cancel the channels, what's in the middle (vocals, usually) should drop out. It won't drop out quite as well if the samples are off. FTOMT would be an example of this.

How do you fix it? Easy, just slide the offending channel over one sample. Really simple to do in ProTools - no idea how you would do it on the PC.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Dob

Postby Dob » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:57 am

I don't think there's a way to fix it in Cool Edit, as it won't let you (I don't think) slide the channel over...but it occurs to me that with the multichannel software, such as Adobe Audition, it is an easy fix.
Dob
-------------------
"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance" -- HL Mencken

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:02 pm

I thought Adobe Audition pretty much *was* CEP.

Dob

Postby Dob » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:46 pm

Patrick M wrote:I thought Adobe Audition pretty much *was* CEP.

I believe you're right, but I don't have CEP...I have Cool Edit 2000. :oops:
Dob

-------------------

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance" -- HL Mencken

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:07 am

I have been ripping my CDs to FLAC using EAC in secure mode wiht Accuraterip verification where possible. for the last week or two, so anyone can see I am *all about* batshit crazy peace of mind right now.

(and will be so for another several days at least)
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant