New Sony Sacd player $142.00 at Circuit City..

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
Matt
What color are leaves?: Green
Spam?: No

New Sony Sacd player $142.00 at Circuit City..

Postby Matt » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:18 am

The new Sony SCDCE595 5 disc changer is on sale at Circuit City this week. It is also around $150 at Best Buy. I purchased one and I like it alot so far. It is easily on par, sound quality wise, with the SCDCE775.

This is a great player for someone who wants to get in to SACD (or a nice second inexpensive player that packs a punch).
-Matt

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:04 pm

That's about what I paid for my (demo unit) 775 at BB. I like it, but then again, I think my other Sony CD player (CD335) sounds fine too.

Anyone else have issues with the headphone volume control on the 775? Mine's a bit scratchy, like the pot is dirty, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get it apart enough to actually clean it.

I also don't really like how the controls aren't responsive until a few seconds after you turn it on. On my 335, as soon as the power comes on I can hit eject. On the 775, however, you have to wait for a few seconds (and wait for the tray to go "clunk") until hitting eject actually does anything.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:42 pm

The ergonomics of the 775 suck. That's probably my biggest gripe.

Matt

Postby Matt » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:52 pm

Speaking of heaphones, on the CE595 there is no headphone jack!
However, the tray mechanism is *MUCH* quiter than the 775.
Last edited by Matt on Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:13 pm

What's wrong with the ergonomics?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:32 pm

That's a rather long list, and since I'm not a HF consultant for Sony yet...

The main things are trying to read the text/figure out what the buttons do from an angle (above, looking down, cause my player is the third thing down on my component shelf).

The juxtaposition of the exchange and disk skip buttons drives me batty. I've hit the wrong button numerous times.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:24 pm

lukpac wrote:Anyone else have issues with the headphone volume control on the 775? Mine's a bit scratchy, like the pot is dirty, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get it apart enough to actually clean it.

Same problem here. It might be a model-wide issue.

Does your 775 ever "miss" the correct CD slot? For example, say you're playing Disc 1. You open the tray using Disc Exchange. Theoretically, it should just switch between 2/3 and 4/5, but occasionally mine "overshoots", briefly reveals part of tray one, then promptly reverses course and reveals the two proper disc slots. Odd.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:36 pm

Hmm...the exchange and skip buttons are in the same spot they are on my other Sony, so...

Mine might do that (exchange). I actually almost never have more than one disc in at a time, so it isn't much of an issue for me.

I'll say it seems to have a harder time reading some discs than my other Sony. Sometimes they'll just spin and spin. Sometimes doing a power cycle fixes all, but other times it doesn't. It's really slow reading some of the Stones SACDs. I cleaned it once, which helped, but it's still finicky.

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:42 am

lukpac wrote:Hmm...the exchange and skip buttons are in the same spot they are on my other Sony, so...

It would have been nice if they had varied the button sizes and placements more and made bigger buttons correspond to more frequently used functions.

Matt

Postby Matt » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:07 pm

Here is a link with a comparison of the Sony SCD-C2000ES and SCD-CE595. Looks like the CE595 is a sleeper, so to speak!

http://www.massivemaximumtheater.com/misc.htm

Update: 9/22 Url Updated
-Matt