$1 Million James Randi Challenge offered to golden ears

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
krabapple

$1 Million James Randi Challenge offered to golden ears

Postby krabapple » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:06 am

I've been waiting for something like this to happen for a looong time.

James Randi Million US$ Challenge To Well-Known Golden Ears!
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Rob P

Postby Rob P » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:26 am

There's a very long thread on this at the Audio Asylum (one of the longest I've seen there), in the General board.

I've gotta hand it to Mr. Randi. He's 100% dead serious about the million dollar payout. Why hasn't anyone taken the bait yet? I mean, with that money, they could afford to buy one whole new system for their guest bedroom.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:22 am

That's great. I look forward to the response or lack thereof.

"I couldn't possibly be expected to discern differences under such sterile, stress-inducing conditions! I know what I hear! Lalalalala!"

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:33 am

Wonder why they didn't invite Michael "the noise on YCAGWYW on SACD is tape print-through from Midnight Rambler" Fremer.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:48 am

Rob P wrote:There's a very long thread on this at the Audio Asylum (one of the longest I've seen there), in the General board.

I'll chekc it out -- though I expect the worst, from taht place.

I've gotta hand it to Mr. Randi. He's 100% dead serious about the million dollar payout. Why hasn't anyone taken the bait yet? I mean, with that money, they could afford to buy one whole new system for their guest bedroom.

There's not much downside for tweakos in this. Nothign will shake their faith, much less a puny DBT. And if one wins, that's $1 mill and tons of bragging rights.

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:49 am

lukpac wrote:Wonder why they didn't invite Michael "the noise on YCAGWYW on SACD is tape print-through from Midnight Rambler" Fremer.

I'd love to see Fremer taken down..even though I tend to agree with his politics.

RDK

Postby RDK » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:16 pm

Hey Krab, thanks for posting this. I don't hang out at AA anymore, but had to look at that Randi thread - which may be one of the funniest things I've ever read. :lol:
ray

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:22 pm

lukpac wrote:Wonder why they didn't invite Michael "the noise on YCAGWYW on SACD is tape print-through from Midnight Rambler" Fremer.

Wait, it isn't? I mean, it isn't print-through, but it's SOMETHING from Midnight Rambler, right?
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:32 pm

Perhaps, I don't know. You can only hear it for a second or so.

I'm just amused at the whole print-through idea. You don't hear any (pre) echo from the previous wind of tape, but somehow sound from the whole other end of the reel wound up there.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

thomh

Postby thomh » Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:06 am

Here is an update from James Randi:

No, none of those 13 people I e-mailed about the audio challenge weeks ago have replied, a fact that I'm sure will not surprise my readers. They won't because they can't. They're fakers, irresponsible quacks, and they've gone under that huge rock where the other fakes have retreated. Say hello to Sylvia Browne while you're there, guys! And move over for the Bedini people. They'll be here shortly.

http://www.randi.org/jr/082704gluton.html#4

Doesn't surprise me.

As for the people on Randi's mailing list, I have to echo Luke WRT why Fremer was not included. But I also wonder why people like James Guthrie, Stan Ricker, Doug Sax were left off.

I noticed that SH remained dead quiet in this thread that RDK started over on his forum:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showt ... hp?t=38388

This surprised me, since he does seem to use the Shakti Stones in his mastering studio and endorses the product.

http://www.shakti-innovations.com/audiovideo.htm
Thom

RDK

Postby RDK » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:27 pm

Yeah, I was kinda disappointed (though not all that surprised) by the lack of discussion that thread generated...
ray

Dob

Postby Dob » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:26 pm

lukpac wrote:Perhaps, I don't know. You can only hear it for a second or so.

Hold on...didn't you and David write this?

"On the plus side, one can now clearly identify what's playing under the very beginning of the guitar-intro of the song: Midnight Rambler! It plays until the horn comes in for the first time, and then there is an audible "click" as it disappears."
Dob
-------------------
"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance" -- HL Mencken

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:19 pm

David wrote that.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:05 pm

lukpac wrote:David wrote that.

David also stands by it. The old source tape for "Let It Bleed" had a bit of frequency bleed-through between channels. The "silent channel" during the opening of YCAGWYW is completely silent on the new master, which reveals that the little noise there seems to be a clip of Midnight Rambler (as given away by the mouth-harp). Could it be something different? Sure. But it sounds an awful lot like Midnight Rambler.

What's always confused me is that it clearly isn't print-through. The problems ends very abruptly; there's a "click" and it's gone. It also isn't on the single version. I'm somewhat unsure what happened.

Did we ever find out why hte beginning of the choir segment is somewhat chewed up? (see Blue, Red and Grey for a similar mystery)
-------------

"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:16 pm

No idea about the choir intro. Probably just some tape wrinkle from the splice or something.

There are some issues in Stray Cat Blues as well, are there not? I'd like to know what's up with the start of Confessin' The Blues.

I thought that bit sounded a little like Gimmie Shelter as well, but I've honestly never investigated that closely. No clue how that got there. I've got an alt mix of some sort around here (perhaps it's just the single mix) and it doesn't have it. It certainly is on other issues, though, it's just harder to hear without the extreme separation.

Fremer never did send me a CD-R of an original Decca LP, or anything else for that matter.