Can this happen...

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
Xenu
Sellout

Can this happen...

Postby Xenu » Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:16 pm

...or am I going crazy?

OK, here's the deal. Recently, I reconfigured my system a bit in order to get Doom 3 working. I moved my audio card (an OEM Audigy 2) down one slot in order to do this, to move it far away from the fairly-noisy video card.

When I restarted, the computer felt the need to reinstall the audio card. I updated the audio drivers and moved on.

Here's the thing, though. Suddenly, the audio seems to be *painfully* midrangey and trebly. I can't figure out whether I'm imagining this or whether something has actually changed. I find myself killing the upper-mids in my Winamp equalizer. There suddenly seems to be a lot less bass on the default settings. You get the drill.

So here's the thing: am I imagining this? Can moving a sound card and updating drivers actually change the default sound it produces? Could it be the video card sucking up more power? What's da deal?
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Dob

Postby Dob » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:04 am

I assume that you have checked the default settings for the sound card. Many of them have different EQ settings that are labeled with speaker designations - for example, "headphones," "computer speakers." and so forth.

Is the audio so bad that it is affecting your game play, or is it more subtle - i.e., only a concern when playing music? I'm thinking that it's the latter if you are questioning whether you are imagining it.

Is your hifi anywhere near your computer? If so, I highly recommend a product called Hifi link, which runs your audio out of a USB port (bypassing your sound card) and into your hifi through the RCA inputs (comes with 20 feet of cable). I don't know if it can completely replace all the functions of your sound card, but I consider it essential for listening to WAV files. I couldn't do my remastering without it!
Dob
-------------------
"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance" -- HL Mencken

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:46 pm

Dob wrote:I assume that you have checked the default settings for the sound card. Many of them have different EQ settings that are labeled with speaker designations - for example, "headphones," "computer speakers." and so forth.

Nothing of the sort is on.

Is the audio so bad that it is affecting your game play, or is it more subtle - i.e., only a concern when playing music? I'm thinking that it's the latter if you are questioning whether you are imagining it.

Yeah. What's driving me nuts about "imagining" it is that it was fine before I moved PCI slots. I'm thinking that the interference from the INCREDIBLY loud video card might be a factor, but why would it manifest itself so oddly?

This is really hard to quantify.

Is your hifi anywhere near your computer? If so, I highly recommend a product called Hifi link, which runs your audio out of a USB port (bypassing your sound card) and into your hifi through the RCA inputs (comes with 20 feet of cable). I don't know if it can completely replace all the functions of your sound card, but I consider it essential for listening to WAV files. I couldn't do my remastering without it!

[/quote]

That wouldn't work, unfortunately.
-------------

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:00 pm

Remember when you got your new car stereo and you imagined that horrible midrange boost?

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:59 pm

Yeah, I do. I think I'm just very suggestable to changes like this. I hope I'm imagining it.
-------------

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:50 pm

Why not try moving it back to the slot it was in before to see what happens? And you really, really need to figure out how to quote things here...
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:32 pm

I know how to quote things. I just sometimes forget to close the tags. And don't care.

I think I solved the problem, FWIW. When the drivers reinstalled, some of the IRQ settings were referencing a device that didn't exist. I killed those, and suddenly I'm getting a lot less treble. I think the "treble" I was hearing was extra distortion layered on top when the signal exceeded a certain limit.
-------------