Sectory boundary errors, snapping, CEPro and so on

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
Patrick M

Sectory boundary errors, snapping, CEPro and so on

Postby Patrick M » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:18 pm

I have CEPro 1.3 and I have Snapping set to 'Set to Ruler (Fine)'. But after I edit and save a WAV, I frequently find that SHNTOOL reports a SBE. What am I doing wrong here?

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:23 pm

There's a CEP 1.3?

I don't knowwwww. Look, this is how I've been solving it. If I must edit track by track instead of in one huge WAV, I eventually end up viewing everything in SAMPLES. There are 44100 samples per second, and 75 CD frames per second. Ergo, 588 samples per frame. What I do is before I save the final run through, I make sure every file's sample count is divisible by 588. If it isn't, I cut a few off the end and paste into the beginning of the next one, and keep doing this until the end.

Should there be an easier way? Yes. But CEP doesn't seem to align to frames. Ever.

And CEP's giving me weirder grief at present. It refuses--REFUSES--to cancel audio correctly. Say I have a stereo source. I channel mix both tracks to equal the right channel. I then attempt a vocal cut. I STILL get noise at -96dB. This only seems to happen at home, not at school, so I'm wondering if it's a peculiarity in the way I have my CEP set up here.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:03 pm

I never have these problems on the Mac... :roll:
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:32 pm

Do you check the files before you burn to make sure?

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:37 pm

Make sure of what? All I know is using the software I use (Spark/PT Free/Jam) I've never had a problem with pops between songs on live CDs (and I almost always burn using individual files).
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:54 pm

Make sure you don't have SBEs. They're not always audible. I check just to make sure I don't waste a CDR.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:05 pm

What are they, exactly? And how would you know you had them?

I've never noticed any problems with doing compares on discs in EAC, FWIW.

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:38 pm

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:08 pm

I'd have to say Jam takes care of this...

And what do they mean "to track"?

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:18 pm

lukpac wrote:And what do they mean "to track"?

I think he's just referring to chopping up one big WAV into individual tracks.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:11 pm

Some burning programs handle SBEs intelligently, moving the points around. Nero does not.
-------------

"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:30 pm

Xenu wrote:Some burning programs handle SBEs intelligently, moving the points around. Nero does not.

I didn't know that. Damn, Nero sucks. I wish I had a better option.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:41 pm

Why don't you use EAC to burn?

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:34 pm

I'd love to. Doesn't work with this burner.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:44 pm

What kind of crappy burner do you have? I've never had as much of a hiccup with any of the drives I've tried it on.