Laser Turntable Questions for feinstein

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Laser Turntable Questions for feinstein

Postby lukpac » Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:15 pm

Since you're the only person I've ever talked to that actually has one of these things, I think it's time for questions...

You've said that certain records that are damaged beyond belief play perfectly on the ELP. By "damaged", do you mean worn grooves, lots of surface noise, lots of pops, or all of the above?

As far as surface noise goes, how would you say it compares to standard turntables? By this I don't mean pops, but rather that underlying bed of noise present at some level on all LPs. On my system, some (very few) LPs are *very* quiet, but most have an annoying level of noise, present mainly in quiet passages and between songs.

How well does it play through clicks/pops?

Could you, at some point, post brief samples of some vinyl transferred on both a regular turntable and the ELP?

And I do have some vinyl here that I wouldn't mind having transferred;)
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Mike Hunte
Senior Troll

Re: Laser Turntable Questions for feinstein

Postby Mike Hunte » Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:43 pm

lukpac wrote:
And I do have some vinyl here that I wouldn't mind having transferred;)

I have some vinyl there too that I wouldn't mind having transferred.

David

Postby David » Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:17 am

If you have the program Cool Edit Pro it can take away most vinyl noise. Just sample the quiet passages between songs and then run the noise filter. It will take away the noise leaving just the music. Works wonders.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:18 am

I'm quite familiar with click/noise reduction. I use click reduction all the time. Still, though, the better source you having coming in the better result you'll have coming out.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:09 pm

Luke, what you really want is that atomic stylus that those guys in England used to restore some old recordings
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant