Grover interconnects

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
thomh

Grover interconnects

Postby thomh » Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:40 am

This is quite an amusing thread.

Grover interconnects

Have any members here purchased these "magic" interconnects that seems to give the music a whole new dimension and are they worthy of the praise showered upon them in the above thread?

My engineering buddy and I have DBT'd some interconnects and have not been able to tell the different ones apart. So I am sceptical. And these seems to get even better with a "break in" period. That makes me even more sceptical.

But then again, we do not seem to possess NightGort Dave's "golden" ears:

Todd, yes they did improve over their first 70 hours of play. They sounded great right out of the package but I noticed a slight restriction in top bass frequencies and a sharpness in the top end treble. After around 15 to 20 hours the sharpness totally disappeared while the bottom midrange and the upper bass frequecies began to bloom. Over the next 30 hours the midrange really opened up for me and the last 20 hours everything just seemed to solidify to the perfection they now are. These changes were partially very, very subtle and required a lot of repeated album listening so I'm not sure a lot of people would even notice other than to say to themselves "hey, these sure are sounding better today for some reason."
Thom

J_Partyka

Postby J_Partyka » Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:25 am

I have two pairs, one each to feed signal from my phono preamp and my SACD player to my Marantz receiver.

I'd been using dirt-cheap Acoustic Research cables from Best Buy, and whether it's placebo effect or not I can't tell you for sure (I've not done any A/B testing) ... but my sense has been that the Grovers are an improvement. The big thing I did notice was clearer treble, more "air" as audiophiles would say (though, as my wife says, "you can't 'hear air,' unless it's the wind"), without any sense of over-brightening.

As for the other grand claims that have been made for them ... My system probably isn't capable of delivering the sonic wonderland that is being described in many of those posts (or maybe my ears just can't hear it). I believe I've heard some difference but for me it's not a "wow, I'm falling out of my chair!!!" kind of religious experience or anything.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:41 pm

I got a pair used from Cliff, and swapped 'em with the "stock" cables from my SACD player to my receiver. I'd been meaning to get "decent" cables for a while now, and for $50 shipped I figured what the heck. I did some really quick-and-dirty A/B testing, but not much as it was a pain in the neck (literally) to futz with the cables.

The main thing I noticed is that they seem to have less signal loss than the ultra-thin, ultra-cheap stock cables, so things are louder and clearer. (Which is exactly what I had wanted to achieve by upgrading the cables in the first place.) But it's not anything earth-shattering, and I didn't detect any serious difference in tone. Again, either my system or my ears aren't up to the task of any grand revelations.

But the price isn't significantly more than the typical "premium" cables at Best Buy or whatever, and they appear to be well-made. So IMO they're not a rip-off or anything like that.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:17 pm

I planted some of my cat's turds in the backyard last spring, and by the end of summer they'd sprouted Grover interconnects! True story!
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Kjoerup

Postby Kjoerup » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:20 am

I'm waiting for Grover to build a hatrack for krabapple's cat's turds, then I might buy.

Actually, I don't give a ding dang doodle if Grover's cables are any good or not. I'm sure they're OK - at least as good as the ones of a similar or identical gauge from Radio Shack or Kimber or Monster Cable or Fisher-Price or Okie Fanokie Hi-Fi. Any fool with a relatively steady hand, a bale of wire and a soldering iron can make his own interconnects. Big deal. Hell, with enough patience and persuasion, Krabapple's cat can undoubtedly build interconnects just as good as Grover's are alleged to be by the audiophool geniuses at Steve Hoffman.tv.

But you know that, I know that and your cat knows that too.

No, what would truly bother ME about owning a pair of Grover interconnects would be that every time I looked at them or thought about them, the grotesquely and laughably STUPID phrase "Steve has finally found interconnects he loves!" would go round and round my mind endlessly, taunting and torturing me to no end. Who wants to live with such a psychic burden? Bad juju, man, bad juju!

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:04 am

the grotesquely and laughably STUPID phrase "Steve has finally found interconnects he loves!"

I've spent a lifetime looking for you
Low-fi and veiled highs, never true
Playing a fools game, hoping to win
Paying big bucks and losing again.

Lookin' for love in all the wrong cables
Lookin' for love and readin' all the labels
Bloated midrange
The soundstage unstable
Oh, what can an audiophile do?

Now that I found Grover's kickin' wires
My ears are always on fire
(Not bad for a Muppet)
Lookin' for love

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Kjoerup

Postby Kjoerup » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:54 am

Was it Sophocles who said that the love between a man and his interconnects is the highest and most sacred love of all?

Grover's wires ... like a cloud kissed by Zeus.

Blessings be upon ye forever more,
My audiophool sheep.

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:08 am

Actually, I don't give a ding dang doodle if Grover's cables are any good or not. I'm sure they're OK - at least as good as the ones of a similar or identical gauge from Radio Shack or Kimber or Monster Cable or Fisher-Price or Okie Fanokie Hi-Fi. Any fool with a relatively steady hand, a bale of wire and a soldering iron can make his own interconnects. Big deal. Hell, with enough patience and persuasion, Krabapple's cat can undoubtedly build interconnects just as good as Grover's are alleged to be by the audiophool geniuses at Steve Hoffman.tv.

My cat is busy breaking in her litter box. We predict that after 100 hours the turds will be more like vinyl.

Kjoerup

Postby Kjoerup » Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:15 am

You mean VINYL! The ORIGINAL HI-REZ FORMAT! ???

Now imagine how much better that cat turd vinyl will be after an additional 100 hours of burn-in time!

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:24 pm

Kjoerup wrote:You mean VINYL! The ORIGINAL HI-REZ FORMAT! ???

Now imagine how much better that cat turd vinyl will be after an additional 100 hours of burn-in time!

I'm worried about jitter in the litterbox, though. Should I paint the sides green?

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:05 pm

Maybe. I wouldn't advise trying to paint the cat's ass green. Unless you *really* want to suffer for your hobby.

Ryan

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:43 pm

Maybe. I wouldn't advise trying to paint the cat's ass green. Unless you *really* want to suffer for your hobby.

The quest for knowledge is sometimes arduous.

Here, kitty kitty......