The Numbers Game

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
thomh

The Numbers Game

Postby thomh » Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:38 am

For those members interested in sampling theory, there is a long and ongoing thread over on the rec.audio.pro newsgroup that you should definitely check out. If you do not feel like going through all the replies, be *sure* to read the ones from EE Dan Lavry. His replies are long and in need of a spellchecker but objective and highly compelling.

So grab a beverage of your choice and follow the link below.

384kHz PCM ???
Last edited by thomh on Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thom

krabapple

Re: The Numbers Game

Postby krabapple » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:40 am

thomh wrote:For those members interested in sampling theory, there is a long and ongoing thread over on the rec.audio.pro newsgroup that you should definitely check out. If you do not feel like going through all the replies, be *sure* to read the ones from EE Dan Lavry. His replies are long and in need of a spellchecker but objective and highly compelling.

So grab a beverage of your choice and follow the link below.

384kHz PCM ???

This URL should be indelibly imprinted on the buttocks of every 'even-my-wife-hears-it'/'science can't explain EVERYTHING' subjectivist blowhard in cyberspace, and the editorial staffs of The Absolute Sound and Stereophile, too.

Rspaight

Re: The Numbers Game

Postby Rspaight » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:34 am

krabapple wrote:This URL should be indelibly imprinted on the buttocks of every 'even-my-wife-hears-it'/'science can't explain EVERYTHING' subjectivist blowhard in cyberspace, and the editorial staffs of The Absolute Sound and Stereophile, too.

Yep, this is good stuff. I'll have to read it more closely when I'm not at work. :)

Of course, the subjectivist blowhards will just say that it'll all be good if you just run it through a Bedini Clarifier, or some other nonsense voodoo crap.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:27 pm

This post in particular is quite good:

Re: 384kHz PCM ???
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:33 am

That's fucking intense. It's also fascinating...I had never quite thought of it that way before.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:08 pm

Xenu wrote:That's fucking intense. It's also fascinating...I had never quite thought of it that way before.

Yeah, me either... but it makes perfect sense. You've got a fixed bandwidth that can be input (if only due to the limits of the mikes), which then can be sliced n' diced any number of ways. If you expect the converter to deal with all the overhead of computing 24/192 (which is completely unneeded from the standpoint of bandwidth), the accuracy of what you get down in the audible spectrum (which has become a fraction of the total bandwidth) may well be compromised compared to 24/96.

What the hell am I saying? The vinyl sounds better, anyway.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:03 pm

Clearly 16/44.1 is overkill, compared to vinyl. BRING ON THE LPs.

:mrgreen:
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:56 pm

I hear the copy protection on that format is pretty good.

Ryan