EAC Offsets

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

EAC Offsets

Postby lukpac » Tue Sep 30, 2003 4:46 pm

It's not terribly hard to set the offset on a drive so and original and a burn will line up correctly. But how does one go about setting up *absolute* offsets? That is, any number of read/write offsets are correct relative to each other, but only one set is correct in an absolute sense. How does one set those?

In theory, you should be able to take the same WAV/CUE sheet, burn it on two different drives, and get identical results. You should also be able to rip the same CD on two different drives and get the same WAV. But again, how do you make this absolute? Or is it pretty much impossible?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:30 pm

Ask David Modny.

I struggled with EAC offsets for a while. I never could get one of their 'on the list' CDs to come up with anything remotely consistent, and most of the CDs didn't work at all.

I finally wound up using the numbers from [url=http://www.ping.be/satcp/eacoffsets01.htm]the user reported drive features database[url], and when I ripped, burned, and ripped from the CDR, they matched perfectly.

Then I got a new drive, and I've never seen the numbers for this one.

In answer to your question, though: I don't know.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:20 pm

Dave Modny sucks.

I *think* between Accuraterip and some EAC offset CDs I've got everything set up correctly. As such, I could probably burn an offset CD for anyone who needs one.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD