ClickRepair fixed "Trident Mixes" 2LP (sort of)

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
Jeff T.

ClickRepair fixed "Trident Mixes" 2LP (sort of)

Postby Jeff T. » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:23 am

I never bothered with this software on my needle drops because I have such a backlog of drops to do that I can always find ones that need no real repair. I'd rather work with the LPs that are near mint anyway, and just erase a couple of ticks or clicks by hand and then I'm done.

But I was looking at some very rare 1968 and 69 Psych albums I dropped to digital before they blew out on ebay. Some rare things like Orphan Egg, The Seeds, Silver Apples, etc. and I realized that these really clean LPs just still had too many ticks.

So I tried ClickRepair as a trial. It really is pretty amazing in that it claims to not rewrite the entire file, but just the bit parts where there were the removed ticks.

I find it really works (best) on the lightest settings. It can do some serious damage to the sound if you try to use it too heavy.

I have the old boot LP Rolling Stones - "Trident Mixes" which features that wonderful cover of Muddy Waters' "Still a Fool" (Stones at their bluesy best) along with some other interesting and less interesting things. Traveling Man, Leather Jackets, and those (what became) Metamorphosis session takes. Anyway, I think that this boot (which imo features the best sound out there for most cuts) was actually mastered from acetates of which have minimal wear, but had their fair share of ticks and clicks. My old copy of the original first pressing 2LP boot on K & S Records has some additional ticks and clicks of course.

Bottom line is that I was able to get rid of the massive buildup of ticks from both the original acetates and my vinyl LP copy to get this material sounding pretty damn good and clean for my server. I don't think later CD boots every got better sources than that K & S LP set?

ClickRepair might be best served being used on old vinyl boots? There are plenty of boots out there that are mastered fine enough but suffer from bad ticks and clicks. I have a ton of them myself, but I never previously trusted ClickRepair. For regular LPs I tend to just find another copy to drop if I want it done that bad.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Re: ClickRepair fixed "Trident Mixes" 2LP (sort of)

Postby lukpac » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:43 pm

Jeff T. wrote:So I tried ClickRepair as a trial. It really is pretty amazing in that it claims to not rewrite the entire file, but just the bit parts where there were the removed ticks.

That's all any click removal software should do. If it is modifying other parts of the file it isn't written well.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Jeff T.

Re: ClickRepair fixed "Trident Mixes" 2LP (sort of)

Postby Jeff T. » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:59 am

lukpac wrote:
Jeff T. wrote:So I tried ClickRepair as a trial. It really is pretty amazing in that it claims to not rewrite the entire file, but just the bit parts where there were the removed ticks.

That's all any click removal software should do. If it is modifying other parts of the file it isn't written well.

I know, I know. But that is not all the majority of them do, most are not written well then. All the others that I tried left artifacts, various things like a very low level "swoosh" in the near silent parts of the music. Another higher end one (I forget the name is said by PBTHAL to do a horrid number on horns in the music.