AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
Xenu
Sellout

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Postby Xenu » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:41 pm

Maybe it's worth mentioning some things about things being audible:

1. Different people have different critical listening skills. Some may hear it, some may not.

2. Some playback systems have higher resolution which may make jitter effect more audible.

3. It can be difficult to have a recording that demonstrates jitter. I'm not aware of any jitter test discs but I am making one now. If you are in Atlanta, I may be able to demonstrate the effect for you.

AHHHHHHHHHH
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhh
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
AGGGGGGGGGGGGg
AGAGAGAGGAGA

AGG

AHHHHHHHH

NO

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
NO NO NO
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

***NO CARRIER***
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:14 pm

Days of Jitter and Roses with Lee S. and his horse.

Got a problem with that?

(Bet he makes you use the service entrance/exit.)
If you love Hi-REZ TAPE HISS, you're REALLY going to love Stereo Central

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:45 pm

I'm still hoping that Ben the Wonder Horse is going to pull a Christopher Reeve on that motherfucker.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:42 pm

Someone needs to do the obvious thing and make 7 copies of an album at different speeds and send them to these people.
-------------

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:42 am

Xenu wrote:Someone needs to do the obvious thing and make 7 copies of an album at different speeds and send them to these people.

Or better, make 7 copies at the same speed and send them to these people, but tell them they were done at different speeds.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

MK

Postby MK » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:44 am

Eventually someone out there is going to drop dead from asphyxiation because he figured the sound of his own breathing was interfering with the music.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:00 am

MK wrote:Eventually someone out there is going to drop dead from asphyxiation because he figured the sound of his own breathing was interfering with the music.

That is why you should never listen to music -- the very act of listening irretrievably damages the delicate sound waves.

If you care about preserving our precious cultural heritage, you should purchase multiple copies of your favorite classic rock albums, place them in airtight display cases and admire them. From a distance.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:03 am

Jitter is a consequence of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. However, Einstein disagreed with that and said: "Digital audio does not play dice".

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:09 am

If a Cee Dee is locked in a box with a radioactive isotope, does it have jitter if we don't listen to it?

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:57 am

Rspaight wrote:
MK wrote:Eventually someone out there is going to drop dead from asphyxiation because he figured the sound of his own breathing was interfering with the music.

That is why you should never listen to music -- the very act of listening irretrievably damages the delicate sound waves.

Believe it or not John Atkinson makes an argument that bears some relationship to this idea, in his editorial this month in Stereophile -- the second in two months that inveighs against blind testing as being useless for audio. Pathetic.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:03 pm

Oh jebus.

Link?

(as I said to Chris M: now I know how evolutionary biologists feel)
-------------

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:50 pm

I don't think the one Krab refers to is up yet, but here's last month's:

http://stereophile.com/asweseeit/306awsi/

Shorter version:

Those who believe in double blind testing are soulless robots blahblahblah who don't enjoy feeling their loins tingle when they hear the 5th movement of Bacchanal's Ne Plus Obscurantia being essayed by a $50,000 tube amp. They insist on believing that music can be enjoyed apart from the audiophile cachet of the equipment on which it is played. They are all heathen who deserve to listen to rock MP3s and watch crappy movies on their Goddamned home theater systems, which is all they'll ever aspire to anyway, seeing as how they all believe amplifiers all sound the same and power cords don't matter.

Moreover, these infidels engage in sweeping generalizations about those of us who believe differently, which makes them bad people. Bad! I am indignant. If everyone were as enlightened as me, we would all believe in both God and evolution at the same time. And tubes. Praise be.

Ryan

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:54 pm

Rspaight wrote:I don't think the one Krab refers to is up yet, but here's last month's:

http://stereophile.com/asweseeit/306awsi/

Shorter version:

Those who believe in double blind testing are soulless robots blahblahblah who don't enjoy feeling their loins tingle when they hear the 5th movement of Bacchanal's Ne Plus Obscurantia being essayed by a $50,000 tube amp. They insist on believing that music can be enjoyed apart from the audiophile cachet of the equipment on which it is played. They are all heathen who deserve to listen to rock MP3s and watch crappy movies on their Goddamned home theater systems, which is all they'll ever aspire to anyway, seeing as how they all believe amplifiers all sound the same and power cords don't matter.

Moreover, these infidels engage in sweeping generalizations about those of us who believe differently, which makes them bad people. Bad! I am indignant. If everyone were as enlightened as me, we would all believe in both God and evolution at the same time. And tubes. Praise be.

Ryan

and it was written, I must add, by a guy who practices *whistling therapy*

http://www.planeteria.net/home/whistler/

Jason frequently uses his whistling for healing purposes. He regularly performs in pioneer dancer/choreographer Anna Halprin's annual Planetary Healing Dance atop Northern California's Mount Tamalpais. He has also performed in many Peace the 21st Meditations, in Robert and Alyssa Hall's meditation/labyrinth workshop at Spirit Rock Meditation Center, and in the closing ritual of the International Somatics Conference in San Francisco.

Like I said: pathetic.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:28 pm

Jason frequently uses his whistling for healing purposes. He regularly performs in pioneer dancer/choreographer Anna Halprin's annual Planetary Healing Dance atop Northern California's Mount Tamalpais.

Oh, sweet bleeding Christ.

Ryan

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:01 pm

I feel so dirty.
-------------