Receivers with multichannel pre-outs

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
Patrick M

Receivers with multichannel pre-outs

Postby Patrick M » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:08 am

I've given up my dream of owning a receiver with two sets of mch in, so now I'm just looking for one with 1 mch in, and 1 mch out.

This is surprisingly hard to research, but here's what I've come up with. In all cases, I assume the rest of the higher priced models also have this feature.

H/K AVR 240
Onkyo TX-SR703
Sony - ?
Yamaha HTR-5860
JVC- ?
Pioneer VSX-815-K
Sherwood - ?
Marantz SR4600

All I really need is a glorified premplifier, because I'll be using this with an Aego self-powered 5.1 system.

What other models am I missing?
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:44 am

How about a really good pre-amp?

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/970.html

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:53 am

I was hoping to spend <$500. I guess I should have mentioned that.
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:39 pm

Ah. Well, I'd avoid Sony and JVC. Their receivers are junk. Don't know anything about H/K or Sherwood. Marantz tends to be overpriced and underfeatured. So, I'd narrow it down to Onkyo, Pioneer and Yamaha. I've got an Integra, which is a rebadged Onkyo, and it works great. (Except for the one day several months ago when the upconverted component output was black and white for a day. Then it fixed itself and has been fine since. Weird. I may have been hallucinating.) I think Luke's got a Yamaha and Krab's got a Pioneer (?).

But since you don't need an amp, I'd save my pennies and get the Outlaw. Its features blow away any receiver in its price range.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:58 pm

5760 here. Last year's version of above.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:20 pm

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:26 pm

Just get 2 of these.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:42 pm

The 1050's an older model that's rather out of date -- for the same money you'd be better off getting one of the models you listed above IMO.

Ryan

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:50 pm

Pioneer VSX-1015TX.

Very nice receiver and right in your price range.
If you love Hi-REZ TAPE HISS, you're REALLY going to love Stereo Central