Total Recorder rocks!

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
Mike Hunte
Senior Troll

Total Recorder rocks!

Postby Mike Hunte » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:50 pm

After finding only one high quality WMA to WAV convertor (Advanced WMA Workshop...with all the others sounding like shit after conversion), I decided to play around with the Total Recorder. I'd always avoided this product in the past because I was under the impression that its method of recording was some type of feedback loop through the soundcard (it *does* have that related option as well). Instead, I found out that it uses a virtual driver for basic recording.

I have to say. This thing rocks. Quality is no worse -- and probably better -- than trying to monkey around with format conversions. I had some Quicktime and Windows videos that I wanted to strip the audio off of and this really did the trick with great ease.

I've seen other comparable products that don't appear to use the same methodology and, thus, the quality suffers.

Bottom line, the best $11.95 (yes, I paid for it) I've spent in a long time.

Mike Hunte
Senior Troll

Postby Mike Hunte » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:02 am

I'll also add that it works just great at recording those pesky streaming webcasts that some of the streaming audio "strippers" (e.g. Streambox) can't find the root URL for.

Though in that department, regarding other products, Streambox always tends to work decent with Real content and GetASFStream for Windows Media content. That is, if you have the patience to screw around with both after the fact.

The nice thing about Total is that it truly does operate just like a good old fashioned tape recorder. Simply hit Record and whatever is playing on your computer is captured in real time to the software's driver. You can even choose which format you would like to capture (16/44) and save it in (WAV, MP3, etc.)

Very nice indeed for the 'dows folks out there!

the 801

Postby the 801 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:58 am

I've been using a neat piece of free-ware from Opcode Digital Media called 'OpD2d'. Real-time 16 bit/44.1 kHz recording off the soundcard straight to WAV.

http://www.opcode.co.uk

I can't access the site, but do a search on OpD2d for links & such...

Mike Hunte
Senior Troll

Postby Mike Hunte » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:23 pm

the 801 wrote:I've been using a neat piece of free-ware from Opcode Digital Media called 'OpD2d'. Real-time 16 bit/44.1 kHz recording off the soundcard straight to WAV.

http://www.opcode.co.uk

I can't access the site, but do a search on OpD2d for links & such...

Thanks, I'll check it out. The one area though were I *think* that the TR *might* be more desirable (and this not having heard the OpD2d) is that it uses a virtual driver, therefore bypassing the sound card and any degradation as a result of that. In fact, the sound card has no bearing on the recording at all. One can turn it off, shut the volume off, etc...with no consequences. All one needs to do is to download and install the virtual driver of the TR when setting it up.

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:43 pm

It's handy for looping the outputs of one card to the inputs of another card to make WAVs from copy protected WMAs. Not that I would advocate such behavior...
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.