Forums dot lukpac.org

A place to discuss music and Mallard Fillmore
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Posted without comment
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:44 pm 
Offline
Sellout
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:15 pm
Posts: 2209
http://positive-feedback.com/Issue23/cjdiaries.htm

_________________
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:48 pm 
Offline
Sellout
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:15 pm
Posts: 2209
Well, this is the comment:

http://positive-feedback.com/Issue22/cjdiaries.htm

_________________
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:26 pm
Posts: 128
... I've decided to remove my comment - it probably wasn't helpful to this thread.

_________________
"If you knew what I was thinking you'd BE me."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:08 am 
Offline
Top Dog and Sellout
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:51 pm
Posts: 4584
Location: Madison, WI
Xenu wrote:
http://positive-feedback.com/Issue23/cjdiaries.htm


He's fucking insane.

_________________
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:10 am 
Offline
Top Dog and Sellout
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:51 pm
Posts: 4584
Location: Madison, WI
Xenu wrote:
http://positive-feedback.com/Issue22/cjdiaries.htm


Quote:
We had the interesting opportunity to compare the DAT to the CD in a treated room on a system with low distortion & huge bass & dynamic capacity. The DAT sounded so much better that it could pass as not only a different recording, but an entirely different performance. Really. Everyone present agreed on this.


Something tells me they wouldn't have been able to tell the difference had it been a different recording/performance.

_________________
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:48 am
Posts: 4384
Location: The Reality-Based Community
Life is so much better when you never let thoughts like "I wonder if this would sound better copied to an 'approved' black CD-R on a $600 CD-R drive" enter your head. (Or at least ignore them as the ravings of a part of your mind that you really shouldn't listen to.)

Some people just desperately want CDs to work like LPs, don't they?

Ryan

_________________
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:22 pm 
Offline
Sellout
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:15 pm
Posts: 2209
Yeah. I'd like to point out that all of the voices of dissent at sh.tv are dead. Dead dead dead. I almost posted a "Whaaaa?" response when those links were posted, but removed it. Why bother? Have your fucking REALITYCHECK CD if you'd like.

Actually, the guy's writing style bugs me as much as anything else. That odd, schizoid, hyper-literate digressionary persecution complex approach is so UFo theorist.

_________________
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:26 pm
Posts: 128
Xenu wrote:
Actually, the guy's writing style bugs me as much as anything else. That odd, schizoid, hyper-literate digressionary persecution complex approach is so UFo theorist.


Hah - wish I'd left my post up there. His writing style forced me to give up on the articles, so this was all I could comment on...

_________________
"If you knew what I was thinking you'd BE me."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:55 pm
Posts: 1226
Location: Out of my fucking mind
Insane, you say? CD surface and edge treatment. LOL!

Quote:
How did you discover (stumble upon?) this technique?

Roger Sutor, an audiophile friend of mine, invited me to his home to hear his latest homebrew speaker system, and he played a CD-R copy of the Fairfield Four CD Standing in the Safety Zone that he'd made on his computer. We compared his original disc to my original disc, and for reasons I may not want to speculate about, we both agreed that my original disc sounded considerably better than his original disc, but his CD-R sounded the best. This got me thinking about the differences between original stamped CDs and CD-Rs. As the inventor of Finyl: The Digital Solution™, a surface and edge treatment for CDs, I realized that pit shape and its influence on the read mechanism might have something to do with the obvious sonic differences. A CD-R playing surface consists of different areas of reflectivity areas that, unlike the pits (bumps) on a stamped CD, don't deflect the laser light to the inner or outer edges of the CD-R and then back on the photo diode. Edge treatments thus have little effect on the playback quality of a CD-R, other than possibly reducing their static charge, because most of the laser's light is read back without secondary reflections.


http://positive-feedback.com/Issue16/RealityCheck.htm

_________________
If you love Hi-REZ TAPE HISS, you're REALLY going to love Stereo Central


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:46 am
Posts: 75
Phil Elliott wrote:
Hah - wish I'd left my post up there. His writing style forced me to give up on the articles, so this was all I could comment on...


I was about to post the same thing earlier today.

And another time before that.

I couldn't get past the second paragraph.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:19 pm
Posts: 1615
Clark Johnson's a self-important, credulous buffoon. Occasional fun can be had watching people who know what they're talking about, take him apart on audioasylum. I say 'occasional' because AA is hardly a bastion of reason and science.

_________________
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:41 am
Posts: 535
Xenu wrote:
Actually, the guy's writing style bugs me as much as anything else. That odd, schizoid, hyper-literate digressionary persecution complex approach is so UFo theorist.

After reading about one page, I gave up, because I didn't understand what he was trying to say. I thought it was because of my lack of English skills...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 6:33 pm
Posts: 1714
Location: LukPac Land
Image
Image

_________________
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group