Posted without comment

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
Xenu
Sellout

Posted without comment

Postby Xenu » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:44 pm

-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:48 pm

-------------

Phil Elliott

Postby Phil Elliott » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:12 am

... I've decided to remove my comment - it probably wasn't helpful to this thread.
"If you knew what I was thinking you'd BE me."

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Re: Posted without comment

Postby lukpac » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:08 am

Xenu wrote:http://positive-feedback.com/Issue23/cjdiaries.htm

He's fucking insane.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:10 am

Xenu wrote:http://positive-feedback.com/Issue22/cjdiaries.htm

We had the interesting opportunity to compare the DAT to the CD in a treated room on a system with low distortion & huge bass & dynamic capacity. The DAT sounded so much better that it could pass as not only a different recording, but an entirely different performance. Really. Everyone present agreed on this.

Something tells me they wouldn't have been able to tell the difference had it been a different recording/performance.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:23 pm

Life is so much better when you never let thoughts like "I wonder if this would sound better copied to an 'approved' black CD-R on a $600 CD-R drive" enter your head. (Or at least ignore them as the ravings of a part of your mind that you really shouldn't listen to.)

Some people just desperately want CDs to work like LPs, don't they?

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:22 pm

Yeah. I'd like to point out that all of the voices of dissent at sh.tv are dead. Dead dead dead. I almost posted a "Whaaaa?" response when those links were posted, but removed it. Why bother? Have your fucking REALITYCHECK CD if you'd like.

Actually, the guy's writing style bugs me as much as anything else. That odd, schizoid, hyper-literate digressionary persecution complex approach is so UFo theorist.
-------------

Phil Elliott

Postby Phil Elliott » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:01 pm

Xenu wrote:Actually, the guy's writing style bugs me as much as anything else. That odd, schizoid, hyper-literate digressionary persecution complex approach is so UFo theorist.

Hah - wish I'd left my post up there. His writing style forced me to give up on the articles, so this was all I could comment on...
"If you knew what I was thinking you'd BE me."

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:54 pm

Insane, you say? CD surface and edge treatment. LOL!

How did you discover (stumble upon?) this technique?

Roger Sutor, an audiophile friend of mine, invited me to his home to hear his latest homebrew speaker system, and he played a CD-R copy of the Fairfield Four CD Standing in the Safety Zone that he'd made on his computer. We compared his original disc to my original disc, and for reasons I may not want to speculate about, we both agreed that my original disc sounded considerably better than his original disc, but his CD-R sounded the best. This got me thinking about the differences between original stamped CDs and CD-Rs. As the inventor of Finyl: The Digital Solution™, a surface and edge treatment for CDs, I realized that pit shape and its influence on the read mechanism might have something to do with the obvious sonic differences. A CD-R playing surface consists of different areas of reflectivity areas that, unlike the pits (bumps) on a stamped CD, don't deflect the laser light to the inner or outer edges of the CD-R and then back on the photo diode. Edge treatments thus have little effect on the playback quality of a CD-R, other than possibly reducing their static charge, because most of the laser's light is read back without secondary reflections.

http://positive-feedback.com/Issue16/RealityCheck.htm
If you love Hi-REZ TAPE HISS, you're REALLY going to love Stereo Central

damianm

Postby damianm » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:15 pm

Phil Elliott wrote:Hah - wish I'd left my post up there. His writing style forced me to give up on the articles, so this was all I could comment on...

I was about to post the same thing earlier today.

And another time before that.

I couldn't get past the second paragraph.

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:00 pm

Clark Johnson's a self-important, credulous buffoon. Occasional fun can be had watching people who know what they're talking about, take him apart on audioasylum. I say 'occasional' because AA is hardly a bastion of reason and science.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:12 am

Xenu wrote:Actually, the guy's writing style bugs me as much as anything else. That odd, schizoid, hyper-literate digressionary persecution complex approach is so UFo theorist.

After reading about one page, I gave up, because I didn't understand what he was trying to say. I thought it was because of my lack of English skills...

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:58 am

Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.