Query on lossless binary newsgroups

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed May 31, 2006 9:38 am

On a slight tangent - anyone notice that gap detection in EAC sucks? Last night I was trying to copy a disc, and both drives (when set on the "correct" settings) just hung when detecting the gap for one track. I played around with the gap detection options, and while I finally got it to work, one of the gaps was off a bit. WTF?

I don't think I've *ever* had CD-Copy hang when detecting gaps/pauses.

Oh, and the new EAC w/ CDRDAO doesn't seem to write CD-TEXT. At least it didn't for me last night.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed May 31, 2006 1:59 pm

lukpac wrote:On a slight tangent - anyone notice that gap detection in EAC sucks?

Yes. Yes I do.

I have to have it on "Secure" to get correct gaps...problematically, secure *hates* one of my drives.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed May 31, 2006 2:06 pm

I still don't think it's a *drive* issue. I've had tracks that freeze EAC in any drive I try them in. At least when things are set correctly.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:04 pm

Never encountered any gap detection problems. FWIW, I always use 'secure' modes.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Matt
What color are leaves?: Green
Spam?: No

Postby Matt » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:36 pm

krabapple wrote:Never encountered any gap detection problems. FWIW, I always use 'secure' modes.

I have, but on rare occasions. I find that backing the mode to "accurate" or "inaccurate" during these rare occasions usually works.
-Matt

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:48 pm

krabapple wrote:Never encountered any gap detection problems. FWIW, I always use 'secure' modes.

Get a copy of that Hendrix HDCD disc and let me know...

I should see if I can burn a CD-R that will cause the same behavior.