Lite-On drives?

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Lite-On drives?

Postby lukpac » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:57 pm

Anyone have any experience with Lite-On CD-RW or CD-RW/DVD-ROM drives? I want to get something faster than 12x in my Mac, and I've seen some of these around.

I was thinking of this one but haven't seen much feedback around. Looks like it has a 2 MB buffer - is that enough for 52x burning? I want to say the Samsung I have in my PC has an 8 MB buffer.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Patrick M

Re: Lite-On drives?

Postby Patrick M » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:25 pm

lukpac wrote:Anyone have any experience with Lite-On CD-RW or CD-RW/DVD-ROM drives?

Yes.
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:44 pm

Good bad or otherwise?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:16 pm

I have a cheap HP 52x drive in my PC which is apparently mfd. by Lite-On. I've never had any issues with it, for what it's worth. I know most of their drives seem to get fairly good reviews and the prices are pretty reasonable.

Mike Hunte
Senior Troll

Postby Mike Hunte » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:26 pm

My brother swears by Lite-Ons. I've burned CD's on one of his drives and never had a single problem.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:33 pm

Maybe I'll go for it then. The CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo is about $40 online. Although this DVD-/+RW is only a couple of dollars more. Hmm.

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:28 am

My drive has been fine, but does not burn in EAC (no surprise). It was branded as a Verbatim.
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:49 am

That's odd. Although I'll be using it in my Mac anyway. Toast better work.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:16 am

My Liteon drive does excellent DAE.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:40 am

Picked up this one last night. I believe it's the newest/best. So far so good - MacOS 9 could see both CDs and DVDs, and Toast was able to burn a CD. DVD video playback had some issues, although I'm not really too worried about that.

I should slap it in my PC sometime and see if it works with EAC.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:21 pm

lukpac wrote:DVD video playback had some issues, although I'm not really too worried about that.

Works great in OS X. No idea what's up in OS 9.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:56 pm

lukpac wrote:Picked up this one last night. I believe it's the newest/best. So far so good - MacOS 9 could see both CDs and DVDs, and Toast was able to burn a CD. DVD video playback had some issues, although I'm not really too worried about that.

I should slap it in my PC sometime and see if it works with EAC.

The DVD video playback problem had to do with my sound card - the driver under OS 9 is kind of buggy. And it works fine with EAC.

The reason I revived this, though, is because I came across this. Nearly every flavor of CD and DVD burning, plus Lightscribe, for $36. It doesn't seem that long ago that 4x CD-R drives were 10x that much.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:28 pm

Have you read cdfreaks recently, Luke? Hardware advice re. DVD burning has sort of settled into sh.tv-land now that things are more-or-less egalitarian (And now that even CMC media is regarded as pretty decent). Lots of crowing about variations in miniscule error levels, rare breeds of burners and media, and cold shivers for all things Taiyo Yuden.

...but yeah, that is cheap and I do remember. That said, I mean...I've still never encountered a DVD-R DL, and I'm usually not willing to pay for Lightscribe discs. I think my media evolution is pausing while Blu-Ray/HD-DVD linger on the horizon.
-------------

"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:14 pm

I honestly can't remember the last time I had a bad burn. I keep buying these Verbatim discs because they are nice-ish looking and I've never had a problem, but my guess is just about anything would do.

That said, I *do* think some drives do better DAE than others. One or both of the drives in one of my machines here kind of choked on some really bad discs - even EAC couldn't get a decent rip out of them. Yet when I swapped in my LITE-ON it blew through them like they were brand new. Admittedly those drives are a few years old, but...

David R. Modny

Postby David R. Modny » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:03 am

Besides some CD burners, I have both a Lite-On and an LG DVD burner in my setup. The LG will intermittently swap channels during DAE. Unfortunately, the "swap channel" option in EAC does me no good because, as noted, it is indeed random. I still use the drive for DVD work though.

No issues with the Lite-On at all.