Building Your Own Microphone

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Building Your Own Microphone

Postby lukpac » Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:50 pm

So, I've decided to have some fun with my MiniDisc recorder and try making some (field) recordings. My main concern is speech, although I'll probably be recording music at some point too. Rather than go out and buy mics, I figured I'd make my own.

I've put together one using a (Radio Shack) condenser element and a rubber coax weather boot for a body. I attached an alligator clip for tie clip use. So far so good. A few questions though:

- what can I use to dampen vibrations? It's obviously a pain when you lightly move/touch the mic and get a big pop/boom in the recording.

- what should I do about the backside of the element? Should I seal it up with something (epoxy/caulk/?) or leave it open?

I've noticed that I seem to get a more natural sound if I keep the element slightly outside of the boot, although right now the backside of the element is open.

Any ideas?

britre

Postby britre » Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:09 pm

This is a great topic and there are so many variables with miked recording the worst being direction and distance.

I know most of you out there must have heard the Beatles Rooftop concert bootleg which should be a great example of the dificulties of microphone recording.

My suggestion is first to foam up the sides and the base of the condenser so it resist vibrations of light touches or rubbing, but can detect airborne vibration.

Make a type of umbrella over the top with tothpicks or a simmilar type of item so that the foam is supported over the top, but not touching the the unit. This should help you a little, maybe some others have ideas?