Splitting WAV tracks apart

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
JWB

Splitting WAV tracks apart

Postby JWB » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:16 am

I use Cool Edit Pro to split my WAV files into tracks and it works 90% of the time, but sometimes there's a little "blip" at the track change. Everybody I ask about this tells me about "snapping", so I adjust it and it doesn't fucking work. Everyone says it works fine for them.

Is this a common problem? Should I download CD Wave and try that?

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:27 am

I assume these are sector boundary errors?

http://wiki.etree.org/index.php?page=SeedingGuidelines

IIRC, if you zoom in enough - even with snapping on - you can wind up creating a SBE.
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

JWB

Postby JWB » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:31 am

Thanks for that info. I'm gonna download CD WAVE.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:36 am

Patrick M wrote:http://wiki.etree.org/index.php?page=SeedingGuidelines

"Do not seed EAC rips of already existing lossless sources. Adding DAE generations is frowned upon and has potential for loss of quality."

Umm, sure.

In terms of SBEs, don't most burning programs take care of this? I've never had an issue in Jam...
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:36 am

Most are supposed to; many don't (like, say, every single fucking program I've used throughout the years). Thankfullly, I usually do the one-big-wave-CUE approach when indexes matter, i.e. with segue material.

Now that I know about SBEs, I generally run SHNTool before burning just in case.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:29 pm

Snap to zero crossing always works for me.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

JWB

Postby JWB » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:35 pm

I'm using CD WAVE right now, and it seems to be working. It's just a bit of a pain in the ass to use.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:55 pm

krabapple wrote:Snap to zero crossing always works for me.

That would prevent any pops/clicks, but you still could get gaps that shouldn't be there. You just wouldn't notice them as there wouldn't be any large amplitude changes.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

the 801

Postby the 801 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:11 pm

"Trader's Little Helper" is the best tool I've found for fixing any track split I've made:

http://thor.prohosting.com/roh0205/

I wanna cut where I wanna cut & this lil' doo-dad saves the day...

...pretty handy for other stuff as well.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:24 pm

Haha. OR you can just make sure the number of samples in any track is divisible by 588 (44100/75).

-D
-------------

"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:35 pm

Or use a Mac :P

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:55 pm

I never knew that our Windows-using friends had to deal with such dilemmas. My condolences to you all.
If you love Hi-REZ TAPE HISS, you're REALLY going to love Stereo Central

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:16 pm

Crummy Old Label Avatar wrote:I never knew that our Windows-using friends had to deal with such dilemmas. My condolences to you all.

I've heard of it for years, but never experienced it. Well, many years ago (1998) when my buddy got his first CD burner, I had him burn the first run of LALC. Sure enough, there were pops between the tracks. That said, I don't know if it was his (crappy) burner, some issue with WAV files created on the Mac, or SBEs.

Lately the only burning I've done on the PC has been whole images.

As I type this from a PC...

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:01 pm

lukpac wrote:Well, many years ago (1998) when my buddy got his first CD burner, I had him burn the first run of LALC. Sure enough, there were pops between the tracks. That said, I don't know if it was his (crappy) burner, some issue with WAV files created on the Mac, or SBEs.

TAO?
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:09 pm