'corrective' phase-shifting .. app(s)/plugin(s)?

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
damianm

'corrective' phase-shifting .. app(s)/plugin(s)?

Postby damianm » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:43 am

Hi everyone

I thought I'd seen this somewhere amongst all of the options in CoolEdit, but can't find it now.

Is there any (preferably free) audio editor or plug-in (DX/VST) that'd let me introduce a very minute, controlled amount of phase-shift on one channel of a waveform? I'm thinking 'fractions of a degree' here.

I'm trying to 'correct' this disc which has a very slight phasey edge to it - my impression is that it might've been mixed/mastered on a misaligned machine (just a wild-a** guess).

Is there any chance such a thing could be helped by what I mention above? I'm thinking about listening to it in mono (Y-cord) while fiddling around with the amount of phase-shift until it sounds 'right', as it's particularly noticeable when the channels are summed.

Thanks!

combover

Postby combover » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:29 pm

I haven't used cool edit, but Audition can do phase shifting via one of the built-in effects. Be aware it's FFT based so it's going to add small inaccuracies due to the limitations of frequency vs. time domain calculations - but it's probably completely inaudible in practice.

Anyway, try effects > filters > graphic phase shifter.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:35 pm

Anyone try something like this for CSG mixes?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD