UD1 vs UD II

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
krabapple

UD1 vs UD II

Postby krabapple » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:39 am

The true believers that WMDs will still be found have *nothing* on the true believers in UD differences.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showt ... hp?t=56230
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:10 pm

God bless Andreas and Chris M.

Andreas wrote:
Dave wrote:Thanks, you are entitled to believe what you like.

And you are entitled to call facts "beliefs".
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:06 pm

There were several posts there that were "vanished" pretty quickly...basically a bunch of people disagreeing, along with one who said that people were wasting their time obsessing about disc formulations.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:45 pm

Hmm.. they must have vanished before I chekced...because everything looks the same to me there right now, except for the new Goodwin post, whihc I predict will be gorted before the day is done.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:51 pm

Yep. I couldn't resist violating the Prime Directive.

The posts were vanished *yesterday*, or perhaps even the day before.
-------------

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:55 pm

I just can't get over the idea of someone who claims to understand audio, thinking that a .5 dB difference , at *whatever* frequency (from 20-22K) , wouldn't be measurably (and EASILY) 'detectable' as a difference in a null test or any other 'diff' function that compares file to file. That's so fundamentally ignorant of what digital audio is, not to mention digital information storage period, that it boggles the mind.

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:25 am

The strange thing is, I mostly agree with Dave on his subjective observations. I seem to have the same taste with respect to mastering choices as he does. (Bowie RCA, Stones London, original Getz/Gilberto CD).

And he was right when he claimed there was a difference between certain black triangle Pink Floyd CDs. (I am not saying he was the only or first one to observe that.)

David,

were some of your posts deleted in that thread? (The ones that are still there are spot-on!)

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:59 pm

No, not yet. They might be in the future, though.
-------------

Dob

Postby Dob » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:42 pm

Andreas wrote:And he was right when he claimed there was a difference between certain black triangle Pink Floyd CDs. (I am not saying he was the only or first one to observe that.)

All I recall him saying (over and freakin' over) is that his black triangle 1A1 is the best version he has ever heard...better/as good as any other black triangle and better than any Harvest blackface. Giving him credit for hearing differences between black triangles (TO and non TO) is negated by his hearing differences (where there are none) between non-TO black triangles and non-TO blackfaces. Plus he hears differences between original CD/CD-Rs and differences between CD-Rs burned on different media, or different burning software, or different burners, or different burn speeds. It must be a full time job for his wife to keep running all these "blind" comparison tests for him.
Dob
-------------------
"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance" -- HL Mencken

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:46 pm

None of which work, apparently, because his bias always seems to win out.

If your "golden ears" hear differences between two identical WAV files, your ears are not golden at all, and you are imagining things. End of story.
-------------

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:47 pm

lukpac wrote:God bless Andreas and Chris M.

Andreas wrote:
Dave wrote:Thanks, you are entitled to believe what you like.

And you are entitled to call facts "beliefs".

Oh well, I tried. I wouldn't care at all that Dave imagines differences between UD's and UDII's save for the fact that so many people over there actually believe what he says. I hate the fact that a bunch of people go to that site, see he is a moderator and unload all their UDII's and waste money on UD's...

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:02 pm

Exactly. Which is why I'm still there. I just compared "breathe" on that website...they're exactly the same, of course. How the fuck will this be defended? Probably with "well, I heard a difference, so there must be something we're not measuring." God forbid anybody admit they made a mistake.
-------------

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:52 am

Is there a faster way to determine bit-for-bit identity, with possible offsets?

EAC always comes up with "different samples from 0:00.00 to 3:24.11" or similar, even if the only difference is that track 1 has an additional half second of silence at the beginning.
Last edited by Andreas on Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:42 am

Yeah, I was noticing that a few months ago.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:21 am

There may be a faster way, but given that this particular method is pretty reliable...
-------------