The end (or not) of cassettes

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
Ba Rock

Postby Ba Rock » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:18 pm

Does anyone know a program or plugin for restoration of sound from cassettes? I mean simply solving the problems of hiss, spectral difference between R & L and this 'azymuth problem'?

seth

Postby seth » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:41 pm

The U.S. Abbey Road cassette has Here Comes The Sun on side 1 and Come Together on Side 2. First piece of prercorded music I ever bought (late 1969).

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:46 pm

Ba Rock wrote:Does anyone know a program or plugin for restoration of sound from cassettes? I mean simply solving the problems of hiss, spectral difference between R & L and this 'azymuth problem'?

"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

britre

Postby britre » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:51 pm

lukpac wrote:
Ba Rock wrote:Does anyone know a program or plugin for restoration of sound from cassettes? I mean simply solving the problems of hiss, spectral difference between R & L and this 'azymuth problem'?

The photo above agreeably IS a Cassette Deck. But let us not forget the best 70's vintage deck, the Pioneer PL-900. Three head, double capstan direct drive sexy uh uh ohh!

Truly I personally gave up Cassette recording long ago with the advent of the CDR which does everything it does plus sounds better and allows clean editing of you "Mix Tape"

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:30 pm

britre wrote:The photo above agreeably IS a Cassette Deck. But let us not forget the best 70's vintage deck, the Pioneer PL-900. Three head, double capstan direct drive sexy uh uh ohh!

You don't know about Nakamichi decks? The Dragon is generally considered one of the best decks ever. I've only ever used a DR-2 though, which worked well.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

britre

Postby britre » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:40 pm

lukpac wrote:
britre wrote:The photo above agreeably IS a Cassette Deck. But let us not forget the best 70's vintage deck, the Pioneer PL-900. Three head, double capstan direct drive sexy uh uh ohh!

You don't know about Nakamichi decks? The Dragon is generally considered one of the best decks ever. I've only ever used a DR-2 though, which worked well.

Ohh no, I agree with you 100%. Nakamichi made some of the most outstanding, best cassette equipment of the late 70's and 80's. Even thier cheap stuff was superb. Just wanted to mention another great cassette deck.

Ba Rock

Postby Ba Rock » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:53 pm

But how will a Nakamichi play my rotten tapes?
Yes, it was a bit of a stupid question. But maybe there are simple restoration programmes to improve cassette recordings. Like I also miss a mono vinyl restauration plugin, or one that corrects a-centric records. Or one in which you can downsample and monofy mp3 without extra loss. Cooledit doesn't have these things.