Best way to run line-level cables permanently?

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Best way to run line-level cables permanently?

Postby lukpac » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:57 pm

To clarify...a family member has a stereo on one side of a room, and TV/DVD/etc on the other (maybe 20-30 feet). He's going to need to run line level cables between them as to turn things into a "home theatre". The problem is, what type of cable do you use? Is the stuff normally used in interconnects sold in bulk, without connectors? Is that really needed?

Several years ago I did something like this for the stereo outs on a VCR. The local eletronic supply store had some 4 conductor cable with shielding. Two conductors were for signal, and the other two and the shield were ground. Seemed to work fine.

I'm not worried about wall plates and such - I can deal with that.

Also, what about digital? Any problems going from the digital out on the DVD player to the receiver over that long of a distance? Cable concerns?

Has anyone here done this?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:24 am

Anyone?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

damianm

Postby damianm » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:09 am

Have you thought about running balanced lines? I seem to remember that signal loss (and degradation from RFI and the like) should be much less significant vs. an equivalent run of unbalanced wire.

You'd need some sort of transformer on either side of the line, though, to do the unbalanced --> balanced --> unbalanced thing, as I don't think home A/V equipment comes equipped with XLR connectors.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:48 am

I think balanced lines are a bit beyond the scope of this project...

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:59 am

nt
Last edited by Ess Ay Cee Dee on Mon May 02, 2005 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dob

Postby Dob » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:00 pm

Have you thought about using coax cable? I've never tried it, but I've heard it recommended before. It's pretty well shielded and readily available...but it might be too bulky for what you want. Of course, you'd need RCA to coax adaptors...I think they run about a buck and a half apiece.
Dob
-------------------
"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance" -- HL Mencken

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:05 pm

nt
Last edited by Ess Ay Cee Dee on Mon May 02, 2005 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:16 pm

Ess Ay Cee Dee wrote:What kind of digital connection are you talking about, Toslink or coaxial?

Coax.

Coaxial would be easy--just about any decent quality 75-ohm cable will work, provided it terminates in RCA plugs.

I'm thinking anything I do would terminate at a wall plate with RCA jacks. Then I'd run short interconnects from there to the equipment.

This certainly looks tempting:

http://www.svideo.com/avbalun12.html

CAT5 would be great if it actually works well. I wouldn't even need to buy one of those boxes. But does it actually work well?

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:23 pm

I suggest asking on rec.audio.tech, rec.audio.pro. , or avsforum.com
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant