EAC burning problem

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
Andreas

EAC burning problem

Postby Andreas » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:27 am

I can't burn a CD with EAC. The simple reason is that the option "write CD" is not available in the write menu. (It is not highlighted). I can choose and arrange .wav files, I can manipulate the cue sheets, but how can I write? I feel stupid.

I have used EAC for ripping countless times, and always Easy CD Creator for burning. Does EAC somehow not recognize my burner? It does recognize it as a CD drive, and I use my burner for ripping without problems.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:50 am

Usual stupid question: do you have the latest version? If yes/no, have you tried going back/forward a version?

For some reason the latest version wouldn't let me play things back on my laptop, but the version before it worked fine. Go figure.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:31 am

What version do you recommend? Or do you think I have to try until I find a version that accepts my burner?

The reason behind this is I have received a copy of the Toshiba CP 35-3016 Abbey Road CD. Unsurprisingly, this CD is rather bright, so I wanted to burn a copy with pre-emphasis flags set. My Easy CD Creator has no feature for that.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:16 am

Andreas wrote:Or do you think I have to try until I find a version that accepts my burner?

Yes.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:32 am

"Can't detect write speeds."

Thanks for the tips so far, I can now choose "write CD" in the menu, but then I get this error message. I did try two earlier versions. Maybe my burner is not compatible with EAC:
LG CD-RW CED-8080B

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:52 am

I have never owned a burner that works with EAC. I think Patrick had a Sony a few years ago that EAC would burn with, but has never had any luck since.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:35 pm

I've never had a burner that *didn't* work with EAC, so nah. :P

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:16 pm

FWIW, my LG GSA-4040B won't burn with EAC.
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Matt
What color are leaves?: Green
Spam?: No

Postby Matt » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:04 pm

Andreas, you could rip the disc in EAC as an image with a cue sheet, add pre-emphasis flags to the cue sheet, and then try to burn the image with Cdrwin or Nero.
-Matt

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:35 pm

Matt,

I will try CDRWin! That sounds like the solution. Thanks a lot!

Matt
What color are leaves?: Green
Spam?: No

Postby Matt » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:53 pm

No problem Andreas! I followed the same steps a while back to add pre-emphasis to a copy of the Toshiba Abbey Road.
-Matt

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:45 pm

Matt wrote:Andreas, you could rip the disc in EAC as an image with a cue sheet, add pre-emphasis flags to the cue sheet, and then try to burn the image with Cdrwin or Nero.

You beat me to it. The only advantage EAC has over something like Nero with regard to burning is its support for nonstandard .cue sheets (for example, .cue sheets in which the index00 for the silence for a track is actually at the end of the preceding WAV's file). EAC also makes it slightly easier to turn CD Text off when burning from a .cuesheet with junk text entries, but that probably doesn't matter to you.

If you have a compliant .cuesheet--and a single-WAV based .cue/.wav will always be compliant--NERO, CDRWin, and several others will handle it just fine.

I'm surprised that everyone here has so many problems with EAC writing to their devices. EAC worked for me with a HP 8100, a NEC 7800, and some awful Samsung drive I'm attempting to purge from my memory. I know that EAC absolutely detests laptop drives--as anyone attempting to do Secure-mode DAE on such a drive has probably discovered--but other than that, I've never encountered problems.

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:52 pm

SO, if I have the CD Image in a directory and the cue sheet (automatically generated by EAC) as well, and if I enter the flags manually in the cue sheet, will CDRWin6 (the demo version) use the information in the cue sheet automatically and correctly? Because I see no option how to choose the cue sheet.

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:56 pm

Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:02 pm

Xenu wrote:I'm surprised that everyone here has so many problems with EAC writing to their devices. EAC worked for me with a HP 8100, a NEC 7800, and some awful Samsung drive I'm attempting to purge from my memory. I know that EAC absolutely detests laptop drives--as anyone attempting to do Secure-mode DAE on such a drive has probably discovered--but other than that, I've never encountered problems.

I think I may have turned secure mode off, but EAC certainly has no problems burning on 2 of my 3 laptop drives (haven't tried the third one yet).