Problem with DTS flac

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:16 pm

Rspaight wrote:You need to have a DTS-capable receiver, I'm afraid. When you use the analog outs on your DVD player, it assumes you're playing a CD and attempts to decode redbook. Hence, white noise.

DVDs work because your DVD player expects DVDs to contain DTS and can deal with it. It refuses to believe a CD can contain anything other than redbook and will always attempt to play one as redbook, no matter what you tell it. (MP3 CDs are a different issue -- those are actually CD-ROMs and your player can figure that out. But DTS CDs look exactly like redbook CDs to your player.)

The only way to play those suckers back is to output PCM digital from your CD player and feed it into a DTS-aware receiver. The receiver has no idea it's getting the digital signal from a CD instead of a DVD and happily decodes it.

Nope. My lowly Cyberhome DVD player ($40) plays DTS CDs just fine. Well, at least the one I have.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:17 pm

Rspaight wrote:You need to have a DTS-capable receiver, I'm afraid. When you use the analog outs on your DVD player, it assumes you're playing a CD and attempts to decode redbook. Hence, white noise.

Same with previewing in Nero. It attempts to decode a stereo 44.1/16 file (which it isn't, it's just masquerading as one). Hence, white noise.

DVDs work because your DVD player expects DVDs to contain DTS and can deal with it. It refuses to believe a CD can contain anything other than redbook and will always attempt to play one as redbook, no matter what you tell it. (MP3 CDs are a different issue -- those are actually CD-ROMs and your player can figure that out. But DTS CDs look exactly like redbook CDs to your player.)

The only way to play those suckers back is to output PCM digital from your CD player and feed it into a DTS-aware receiver. The receiver has no idea it's getting the digital signal from a CD instead of a DVD and happily decodes it.

Thanks Ryan.

Perhaps a stupid question, but would it be possible to decode correctly if I burned it onto a DVD-R?
Craig

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:19 pm

Nope. My lowly Cyberhome DVD player ($40) plays DTS CDs just fine. Well, at least the one I have.

Is there a special setting for them? How does it know they're DTS and not redbook?

Perhaps a stupid question, but would it be possible to decode correctly if I burned it onto a DVD-R?

Not sure. You'd actually need to author a DVD, not just burn the WAV file onto a disc. But it might work then, I don't know.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:20 pm

lukpac wrote:Nope. My lowly Cyberhome DVD player ($40) plays DTS CDs just fine. Well, at least the one I have.

Possible sh.tv misinformation here, but I thought a DVD player would read the DTS CD as a DVD hence the reason why it would work.
Craig

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:27 pm

I just tried using the 5.1 outs of my Panasonic S97 and it did, in fact, decode the disc correctly. It even flashed "DTS CD" on the display.

I suspect you need more practice working your telephone machine.
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:31 pm

Patrick M wrote:I just tried using the 5.1 outs of my Panasonic S97 and it did, in fact, decode the disc correctly. It even flashed "DTS CD" on the display.

Maybe I need a firmware update? :D

Well, I'm going to try to burn it from the cue sheet and see what happens.
Craig

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:43 pm

Tried to burn it from the cue sheet and got the following message from Nero:

An error occurred while loading the cue sheet file
C:\blah blah blah (my directory etc)
Line 3

Is there any way I can go in to the cue sheet and edit it? Or can I simply create another one?
Craig

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:54 pm

You can easily edit the .cue sheet. They're just text files.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:58 pm

Patrick M wrote:I suspect you need more practice working your telephone machine.

Ahoy hoy?

No idea how it works, but all I had to do was put the disc in and push play.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:56 am

Well, shit. I'll just shut the hell up.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:35 am

lukpac wrote:Ahoy hoy?

You call this Postum?
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:52 pm

Update - After putting this FLAC headache aside for a few weeks due to technical issues and home improvement issues, I had some time this weekend to revisit the issue I had with DSOTM flac.

Ess Ay Cee Dee was kind enough to help work out a solution for this. After trying several different things (different FLAC decoders, audio specs on the DVD player, etc), I was about ready to throw in the towel when I tried one other option that neither of us had come up with yet: resetting the DVD player.

That was it! When I tried a second copy of the CD, the DTS logo was on the player's display (which didn't happen the first time around) and there was sound! At first, I was certain it still wasn't working but then realized that I only had my rears connected and it took a few more seconds for the effects to start. Now I can check out Parsons' mix and see which is better for myself.

Once again, thanks to SA for putting up with my emails and getting me up and running (insert Ed Bishop emoticon here).
Craig

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:11 pm

lukpac wrote:Speaking of DTS decoders...is there any way to decode a DTS CD into 4 mono WAV files? I've had no luck so far.

Three and a half years later, and nearly a year after I found this program...

DTSdec does the trick. You can have it either mix down to stereo, or export a multichannel WAV file. I just decoded Let It Grow to a MC WAV, and sure enough in Audacity I get 6 tracks (albeit only 4 with any real information). So...success.

Jeff T.

Re: Problem with DTS flac

Postby Jeff T. » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:09 pm

So DTS Releases on CD can encode and decode to digital out just as any other CD can right? And then the DAC in my amp can do it's 5.1 magic from there....?

I have all those Quad reel to reels as well, you know those fan conversions from tape to computer input to CD-R. Fun stuff!

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Re: Problem with DTS flac

Postby lukpac » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:23 pm

As long as your amp handles DTS, yes.