Problem with DTS flac

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
Beatlesfan03

Problem with DTS flac

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:21 pm

I am having some issues with a copy of the quad version of Dark Side of the Moon FLAC that I grabbed over at Pedro's. Following the instructions in thread, I downloaded and burned the FLAC files in Nero as normal. When I tried it in my DVD player, it did not recognize the DTS signal and gave me white noise.

Another post in thread suggested that after the FLACs were ripped to CD, rip the tracks from the CD back onto the hard drive and save them as *.dts files. I did this, and burnt the disc again, same results.

Another suggestion in the forum said to VLC media player. I did this and the file wouldn't even load. After snooping around on Google, I found a DTS decoder for Foobar and then I finally had success with hearing the files.

My question is this: is there anyway I will be able to burn this in Nero and be able to hear it on my DVD player? Am I missing a codec for Nero that's not translating the data properly when burning to CD?
Craig

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:29 pm

nt
Last edited by Ess Ay Cee Dee on Mon May 02, 2005 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

dcooper

Postby dcooper » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:32 pm

Sorry for the dumb question, but who is Pedro?
Dan

The language and concepts contained herein are
guaranteed not to cause eternal torment in the
place where the guy with the horns and pointed
stick conducts his business. - FZ

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:34 pm

nt
Last edited by Ess Ay Cee Dee on Mon May 02, 2005 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

dcooper

Postby dcooper » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:37 pm

Oooh...I'm there.

Tried to access easytree the other day, and they say they aren't taking any more members because they have 100k now.

thanks.
Dan

The language and concepts contained herein are

guaranteed not to cause eternal torment in the

place where the guy with the horns and pointed

stick conducts his business. - FZ

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:47 pm

Speaking of DTS decoders...is there any way to decode a DTS CD into 4 mono WAV files? I've had no luck so far.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:07 pm

nt
Last edited by Ess Ay Cee Dee on Mon May 02, 2005 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:12 pm

lukpac wrote:Speaking of DTS decoders...is there any way to decode a DTS CD into 4 mono WAV files? I've had no luck so far.

I tried this once, and got frustrated to the point of giving up. Basically, the "easiest" way to do this required having a full version of Intervideo WinDVD installed (for its DTS demultiplexing filters), which I don't own; apparently, Cyberlink's DTS demultiplexing system is no good. Once you have this, apparently a simple graphedit operation will demultiplex the files. I'd have no clue as to how one would do this on a Mac.

As to what one would do with the files? I dunno, listen to them? I don't have a surround setup, so this would be the only way for me to hear these in some sort of discrete fashion.

As for the DVD player question...no idea, unfortunately. I don't think there needs to be any specific "DTS" tag...I think the player's just supposed to identify the content as DTS. It's possible that your DVD player doesn't expect DTS content to come from CD.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:17 pm

Ess Ay Cee Dee wrote:Since most dts CD's are 5.1, you'd have to have 6 separate files--wouldn't you? What would you do with the individual *.wav's?

Yes, 6 I suppose. Although I've got a CD that is only 4 channels, which is why I was thinking that.

Mix them to stereo. Listen to the individual tracks. Etc.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:50 pm

Ess Ay Cee Dee wrote:The folder you d/l'd should have a *.CUE file in it. Did you try loading that in Nero? That's the way I did it.

The only problem I noticed with the burned disc is that the audio cuts out for a split second between tracks. I don't know yet if it's a problem with the burn, my DVD player or my A/V receiver. I haven't had a chance to isolate the source yet.

I'll try burning with the CUE sheet and let you know what happens. As for your issue with the audio cutting out, on the files I listened to, they were clean with no unusual breaks or fades. One thing I did notice is there seemed to pitch issues on a couple of tracks. Nothing major, but I could detect a slight variance.

Ess Ay Cee Dee wrote:I'm also wondering if it is a playback issue. Does your receiver have a built-in dts decoder? If not, you will indeed hear nothing but white noise. If it does have a decoder, do you have to actually set it to "dts" or does the decoder come on automatically?

My receiver itself doesn't have a DTS decoder per se, however, I am able still able to listen to the DTS track on DVDs because I'm connected via the analog outs on my SACD (which is a Sony DVP-NS500V FWIW) player to the receiver. I discovered my DTS capability one day when I was screwing around with the Beatles Anthology DVD when lo and behold, there was audio as opposed to white noise or silence when I chose the DTS track. I tried several other DVDs and got sound on all of them. My receiver, shitty as it is, is a step below the unit that has both DTS and DD capability. I am thinking that the technology is in there, I just don't have a proper way of activating it.

I'm thinking that the problem is with Nero because when I go into Nero and preview the tracks that are I'm burning, the wav form that is produced is strictly white noise. If the FLAC was getting decoded properly, I would think that in the preview mode, I should be able to hear the music, correct?

I'm sure if I had the Pioneer 563A with the firmware upgrade, I'd be tripping to "Time" right now. :lol:

lukpac wrote:Speaking of DTS decoders...is there any way to decode a DTS CD into 4 mono WAV files? I've had no luck so far.

I believe there is a way to do in Audition. I tried fooling around with it once but since my processor barely meets the minimum requirements, I didn't get the result I was expecting.
Craig

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:04 pm

Craig, have you tried decoding the FLAC files first, then burning?

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:05 pm

FWIW, I successfully burned a quad DSOTM and played it on that same model Sony DVD player. I think Ryan has as well. But I think we started with bin/cue from the now defunct suprnova site. And I believe I was using digitial out and letting my Aego processor decode it.
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:08 pm

lukpac wrote:Craig, have you tried decoding the FLAC files first, then burning?

Yes. I did four FLACs over the weekend and this is the only one that's been giving me trouble.
Craig

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:11 pm

My receiver itself doesn't have a DTS decoder per se, however, I am able still able to listen to the DTS track on DVDs because I'm connected via the analog outs on my SACD (which is a Sony DVP-NS500V FWIW) player to the receiver. I discovered my DTS capability one day when I was screwing around with the Beatles Anthology DVD when lo and behold, there was audio as opposed to white noise or silence when I chose the DTS track. I tried several other DVDs and got sound on all of them. My receiver, shitty as it is, is a step below the unit that has both DTS and DD capability. I am thinking that the technology is in there, I just don't have a proper way of activating it.

I'm thinking that the problem is with Nero because when I go into Nero and preview the tracks that are I'm burning, the wav form that is produced is strictly white noise. If the FLAC was getting decoded properly, I would think that in the preview mode, I should be able to hear the music, correct?

You need to have a DTS-capable receiver, I'm afraid. When you use the analog outs on your DVD player, it assumes you're playing a CD and attempts to decode redbook. Hence, white noise.

Same with previewing in Nero. It attempts to decode a stereo 44.1/16 file (which it isn't, it's just masquerading as one). Hence, white noise.

DVDs work because your DVD player expects DVDs to contain DTS and can deal with it. It refuses to believe a CD can contain anything other than redbook and will always attempt to play one as redbook, no matter what you tell it. (MP3 CDs are a different issue -- those are actually CD-ROMs and your player can figure that out. But DTS CDs look exactly like redbook CDs to your player.)

The only way to play those suckers back is to output PCM digital from your CD player and feed it into a DTS-aware receiver. The receiver has no idea it's getting the digital signal from a CD instead of a DVD and happily decodes it.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:14 pm

Patrick M wrote:And I believe I was using digitial out and letting my Aego processor decode it.

Here's where it gets tricky. Like I said in my earlier post, I'm getting the DTS signal through the analog outs of my SACD player. If I use the digital or coaxial connection, I get pure silence from the DTS soundtracks on my DVDs.

Is it possible that for this particular disc, I would (if I had the capability) have to use the digital connection?

I'm looking to get another receiver but I don't I can justify its purchase right now by telling my wife I need it for the quad DSOTM especially since the SACD is sitting on the shelf.
Craig