heads up: The Audio Critic

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
krabapple

heads up: The Audio Critic

Postby krabapple » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:43 am

The Audio Critic -- the only 'audiophile' magazine to adhere rigorously to objective standardsl -- is offering a deal of $30 for the past 13 issues. I forked over and can highly recommend it. How refreshing to read a mag that comes straight out and calls the Stereophile crowd fools and frauds.

http://www.theaudiocritic.com/cwo/Back_Issues/
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Rob P

Postby Rob P » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:15 pm

Krabapple, what do you think of the $ensible $ound?

I do like The Audio Critic's objectivist philosophy, but I find their equipment reviews boring. I must point out that I am not an electrical engineer, and I have only an intermediate understanding of electrical properties. Some of the content of the reviews leave me in the dust.

However, I love it when they rip into Stereophile and other mags. They're fearless and hilariously snarky.

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:44 am

I like Sensible Sound, and buy every issue -- but I do wish they'd decide whether they want to be 'tweako' or objective.
(In fact, in one of the back isues I'm reading, the editor of SS wrote a *praising* letter to TAC -- and characteristicaly, Aczel responds by tearing him a new one for the wishy-washyness I allude to above)

I also wish they'd STOP reviewing fucking *Mahler* CDs all the time. Enough already.
As with most audiophile mags, the place is overrun with classical and jazz fans, and the tastess of the reviewers are, shall we say, rather middle-aged.

As for the TAC technicalia, it may not make for stimulating reading for everyone, but for me, it's more educational than Robert Harley blathering on about 'fast bass' and 'directional copper' and such.

You have to realize that TAC sticks to its guns: it scredo is that most solid state stuff won't *sound* different when operating correctly. So the alternative there is to discus features -- and to have David Rich open up and look insid eth eboxes, is about as thorough a discussion of features as you can get!

They are completely fearless in noting components that simply don't perform well, or are incompetently designed. Hence their apparent problems finding advertisers.

CitizenDan

Postby CitizenDan » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:06 pm

That 'Ten Biggest Lies in Audio' article is fantastic. It makes the gee-whizzery of some of the audio discussions to be found on other forums seem even more silly and sad.
We were right about Vietnam. We were right about Nixon. We were right about Reaganomics. Trust us -- we're right about Bush, too.

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:06 pm

TAC is back!

It's now a webzine