Headphone Burn-in

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
dcooper

Headphone Burn-in

Postby dcooper » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:47 am

I just bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 580 headphones and so far I'm not very impressed with them. Seems like they have almost no lower end and a very muddy middle.

However, I've really only sampled them once for about 2 hours on my main receiver (a Denon AVR-1603) and have basically been using them for late night listening on my computer.

I've read about speaker cable and interconnect "burn in" at SHtv, and I'm a little skeptical about whether this is necessary. So...is burn in necessary or have I been sucked into a stupid audiophool purchase?
Dan

The language and concepts contained herein are
guaranteed not to cause eternal torment in the
place where the guy with the horns and pointed
stick conducts his business. - FZ

Matt
What color are leaves?: Green
Spam?: No

Postby Matt » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:01 am

Dan, I purchased a pair of these headphones a while back. I had the same complaints you did and returned them. I personally do not think "burn in" is necessary. I am much happier with Grado SR-325's, they sounded great out of the box.
-Matt

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Re: Headphone Burn-in

Postby lukpac » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:06 am

dcooper wrote:have I been sucked into a stupid audiophool purchase?

All signs point to yes.

I haven't done any type of headphone shopping in a few years, but I really remember people singing the praises of Grados. I think I tried the SR 80 and SR 125, and I didn't like either - they both seemed kind of thin and weedy.

I think I tried a pair or two of Sennheisers, but nothing really struck me about them. At times I've looked to replace this Koss pair I've had for years (MAC-7, although I believe they were discontinued many years ago), but I still haven't heard anything I like as much.

Headphone shopping is usually a pain in the ass, as many places won't let you plug in your own headphones, play your own music, or both.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rob P

Postby Rob P » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:25 am

I used to own the Grado SR 60. For two reasons, I didn't like them very much. One, they were uncomfortable to wear, with thin foam padding that tended to disintegrate after a couple of years. Two, I agree with Luke's assessment of the sound, thin and weedy, and I also thought the bass was deep but overhyped.

Not long after, I picked up Fostex headphones from Mars Music. I love those phones. They sound better balanced than the Grados, and they feel more comfortable, with the traditional leather wraparound that rests over top of your ear.

dcooper

Postby dcooper » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:42 am

I considered Grados, but I've always read they are very uncomfortable to wear over extended periods of time. I like the feel of the 580s, but I had to turn the volume way down on my receiver to clear the mud and then boost the treble and bass to +12 to hear any seperation. It's not like I'm listening to Krokus or NWA or intentionally trying to go deaf, but I like a little thump in my bass.

Fostex, eh? Don't know anything about those.
Dan

Rob P

Postby Rob P » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:17 pm

These are the Fostex phones I have:

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i- ... nd-98.html

They're considered "studio" headphones, but in this (and many other cases) I'll make an exception.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:52 pm

I know Mr. Hunte has a pair of Fostex phones. When I listened to them a few years ago they were the closest thing yet to my Koss pair. I think they might have been a bit lighter in the bass, but of course mine might just be bass heavy.

He seems to like them, anyway.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rob P

Postby Rob P » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:06 pm

I do think the Fostex phones are a little lighter in the bass than Grado, but in this case it's a good thing.

My friend has a pair of Koss he uses when we record live. They sound good, similar to the Fostex, and are very comfortable.

dcooper

Postby dcooper » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:10 pm

Rob, know of any DC-area vendors that sell the Fostex?
Dan

Matt
What color are leaves?: Green
Spam?: No

Postby Matt » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:10 pm

dcooper wrote:I considered Grados, but I've always read they are very uncomfortable to wear over extended periods of time.

They (the 325's) are not too bad for extended wear and the pads are fairly easy to change. I personally don't think there is a better sounding headphone in that price range. Also, the 325's are considerably better sounding than the 125's and the lesser model numbers.
-Matt

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:11 pm

I should add that brand often doesn't matter. My Koss pair wasn't too expensive (and are built as such), yet I think it sounds pretty good. I've heard other Koss that were newer/more expensive/etc, and I've thought they've sucked. That is to say, without hearing what's out there now, I'm not about to say "buy Koss". Or any other brand, for that matter.

dcooper

Postby dcooper » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:36 pm

Obviously, there's a certain amount of subjectivity that goes into this analysis, but honestly, you shouldn't be required to buy a headphone amp to hear bass from your headphones. I have a cheap pair of Sony cans that are falling apart and have a cable short that still sound better to my ears than the Sennheisers that I dropped nearly $200 for.

This is the kind of stuff that drives me nuts. I care about sound quality, but I hate getting ripped off or at least overpaying for products that I think are going to produce this magical sound but end up making me feel like a sucker.
Dan

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:49 pm

nt
Last edited by Ess Ay Cee Dee on Mon May 02, 2005 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rob P

Postby Rob P » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:52 pm

dcooper wrote:Rob, know of any DC-area vendors that sell the Fostex?

Guitar Center carries the Fostex phones. They have several locations in the DC area, including Rockville and Tyson's Corner. However, they might not always stock each model.

To me, headphone amps are no different than listening through a headphone jack on a receiver. I think it's yet another way for the high end audio world to pickpocket us. I have one exception to that rule: someone I once knew had a Stax headphone amp which sounded amazing, but was pricey.

Rob P

Postby Rob P » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:57 pm

Ess Ay Cee Dee wrote:The best 'phones I've ever heard were some late-70's Stax electret 'phones. It was the whole shebang with the transformer and everything.

Those were the ones I heard. The guy I knew played me a German quad pressing of Dark Side of the Moon. Listening through the Stax phones and amp, I heard every last little thing on that recording. It was stunning.