Headphone Burn-in

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:26 pm

Rob P wrote:I have one exception to that rule: someone I once knew had a Stax headphone amp which sounded amazing, but was pricey.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you *have* to use an amp with electrostatic headphones?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rob P

Postby Rob P » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:40 pm

I believe the Stax is the only electrostat headphone currently made, and it might be the only one ever made. If someone knows for sure, I'd be interested. I'm not sure if you can plug it into any receiver, but IIRC the company only sells it as a set (both amp and phones), from Japan.

The Stax has a different ohm resistance measurement than other headphones, which could be the reason for only using it with the Stax amp.

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:40 pm

nt
Last edited by Ess Ay Cee Dee on Mon May 02, 2005 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:42 pm

nt
Last edited by Ess Ay Cee Dee on Mon May 02, 2005 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rob P

Postby Rob P » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:55 pm

http://www.goodwinshighend.com/other.htm#stax

Their two top-of-the-line versions go new for about six grand.

Here's a more affordable version:

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/archive/per ... review.htm

Here's someone who can't stop talking about his Stax "earspeakers":

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthre ... adid=41442

That just might be the most comprehensive, exhausting review of a stereo component I've seen yet.

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:45 pm

I've never liked any of the Sennheiser cans I've heard. Ditto for Grado. I have to concur with the thin, weedy, and, yes, frigging UNCOMFORTABLE assessment.

My all-time favorite headphone is the AKG K280 -- the parabolic ones that they don't make any more. (Why?!) The venerable K 240 DF sounds pretty good too. Very comfortable and they last forever. I personally feel that Grados and Sennheisers don't come close to any of the AKG K-series.

There's also the nice-sounding but thoroughly ridiculous and expensive AKG K 1000. These are nothing more than (literally) two small speakers strapped against your ears. They sound excellent, but I can't imagine what sort of insane person would sit around with these on. [UPDATE: Ryan's rich and decadent friends sit around listening to these. New Year's Resolution: ingratiate self into the Ryan jet set milieu.]

I also have the Etymotic ER-4 canal earphones, which I use on a portable when I'm traveling. Can't beat the sound of those, although I really don't use them for home use.
Last edited by Crummy Old Label Avatar on Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If you love Hi-REZ TAPE HISS, you're REALLY going to love Stereo Central

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:43 pm

There's also the nice-sounding but thoroughly ridiculous and expensive AKG K 1000. These are nothing more than (literally) two small speakers strapped against your ears. They sound excellent, but I can't imagine what sort of insane person would sit around with these on.

Heh. I'll be sure to pass this comment along to my friend who has these.

They *do* sound fantastic. And very comfortable. And *very* expensive...

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:20 pm

Rspaight wrote:
Heh. I'll be sure to pass this comment along to my friend who has these.

They *do* sound fantastic. And very comfortable. And *very* expensive...

Ryan

I agree that the K 1000's sound fantastic. They just seem ... thoroughly decadent. Plus, the person in the next room can hear them playing. You do have to admit that it's all kind of, well, obsessively nutty. (Why not just use speakers?) But, yeah, they are gorgeous-sounding. Nutty or not, you can't deny that the high end AKG's are top of the headphone heap.

How does your friend power these monsters? They use speaker cable, not a 1/4" connector, right?

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:39 pm

How does your friend power these monsters?

Off hand, I don't remember. There were several adapters and black boxes involved. (I think there was even an XLR connnector in there somewhere.) I'll check it out the next time I talk to him.

You do have to admit that it's all kind of, well, obsessively nutty. (Why not just use speakers?)

He's in an apartment/condo, so even though the AKGs are noisier than normal 'phones, they still are much more neighbor-friendly.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Ron

Postby Ron » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:47 pm

Crummy Old Label Avatar wrote:They just seem ... thoroughly decadent. Plus, the person in the next room can hear them playing. You do have to admit that it's all kind of, well, obsessively nutty. (Why not just use speakers?)

Thoroughly decadent? Obsessively nutty? Why? Kind of funny comment, I think--this being one of the more obsessive spots on the Net and all. And assuming everyone lives in a house [was that your assumption?] might be considered a bit elitist. [Nah. Not *here,* right?]
How does your friend power these monsters? They use speaker cable, not a 1/4" connector, right?

There are a couple of amps out there that will power them thru the headphone output [requiring a custom XLR-1/4" adapter]. For the rest of us, the so-called "wire harness" connects to the amp's speaker terminals. But you're right, they sound terrific [though for best results you'll want to use a, er, tubed amp]. You're always in the sweet spot and you can crank 'um up without the neighbors calling the police. I've suggested to prix that he pick up a pair.
Dr. Ron :mrgreen:TM "Do it 'till you're sick of it. Do it 'till you can't do it no more." Jesse Winchester

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:07 pm

Don't get me wrong, or take my ribbing of the K 1000's too seriously. I think that the K 1000's go into luxurious overkill territory, which means I wouldn't mind having a pair. Decadence has its attractions, at least to an elitist like myself.

Besides, people think I'm nuts for spending $350 on Etymotic ER-4's, and I have at times considered getting the K 1000's. I just might one day.

They do look the business, don't they? Very futuristic, in a 2001/Clockwork Orange sort of way.

Damn you people! I haven't thought about K 1000's for a couple years. Now I want some. Thanks a lot.
Last edited by Crummy Old Label Avatar on Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ron

Postby Ron » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:54 pm

No problem.

As far as the K1000s go, the list price is over a grand, but they can be had for under $500 from an authorized dealer [eBay]--or *could have been* had for that price until the end of December as there seems to have been a price spike of $100 since the first of the year. Either way, it's a lot of money, but from one obsessive to another, well worth it.
Dr. Ron :mrgreen:TM "Do it 'till you're sick of it. Do it 'till you can't do it no more." Jesse Winchester

Dob

Postby Dob » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:19 pm

Crummy Old Label Avatar wrote:I also have the Etymotic ER-4 canal earphones, which I use on a portable when I'm traveling. Can't beat the sound of those, although I really don't use them for home use.

How comfortable are these? Why don't you use them at home?
Dob
-------------------
"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance" -- HL Mencken

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:18 am

They're quite comfortable, after the initial adjustment period.

I don't use headphones much nowadays at home. I prefer my B & W speakers. Well, I do use the Etys and the K280's at home once in a while, but not too often.

Those K 1000's, though ... ah, I'm seriously thinking about it now.

I really should talk myself out of it.

Dob

Postby Dob » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:30 pm

Crummy Old Label Avatar wrote:They're quite comfortable, after the initial adjustment period.

Can you elaborate a bit more please?

I've heard that they're comparable in comfort to the "foam cylinder" ear protectors, the kind that you compress (roll up) and allow to expand in your ear for proper fit.

Also, can you tell me anything about the pads that are custom fitted?
Dob

-------------------

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance" -- HL Mencken