MP3 Players - Advice?

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
balthazar

Postby balthazar » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:51 pm

$199 for 1 GB??? The iPod Mini gives you 4 GB storage for only $50 more, and the regular iPod has a 20 GB drive for $50 more than that. Go figure.

I'm still not sure you can look at price as your only criteria. Sure, you can quadruple your storage for $50 more, but even an iPod Mini may not be something you bring along for your workout routine. A flash-based player is still going to be better in the anti-skip department.
"It's great how you can control 60 musicians with one just stick-- I can't control these fuckers with two!" -- Ian Paice

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:24 pm

balthazar wrote:I'm still not sure you can look at price as your only criteria. Sure, you can quadruple your storage for $50 more, but even an iPod Mini may not be something you bring along for your workout routine. A flash-based player is still going to be better in the anti-skip department.

I wouldn't worry about skips. I'd be more concerned about hard drive damage. Although I thought those were supposed to be very good in that regard.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

RDK

Postby RDK » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:45 pm

Having realized that I have about 40 Gigs of jazz mp3s off of emusic alone, I now need to get a dedicated player (rather than burning everything on CDRs). And since I have a few hundred bucks worth of Best Buy credit courtesy of an Xmas bonus, I'm trying to decide between an Ipod (20 GB) or a Zen (probably 30 GB). Any recommendations or concerns? Most everything I have is in mp3 format rather than wma if that makes any difference...
ray

balthazar

Postby balthazar » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:24 pm

I wouldn't worry about skips. I'd be more concerned about hard drive damage. Although I thought those were supposed to be very good in that regard.

As much as I'd love the additional storage of a hard drive-based player, I'm kind of liking the sturdiness of a solid state, flash-based player.

I'm trying to decide between an Ipod (20 GB) or a Zen (probably 30 GB). Any recommendations or concerns?

Of the two, I'd personally go with the Zen, because it at least gives you the option of using WMA instead of MP3. Also, I think you'd be able to change the battery yourself, instead of shipping an iPod back to Apple.
"It's great how you can control 60 musicians with one just stick-- I can't control these fuckers with two!" -- Ian Paice

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:20 pm

Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.