best burning software

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
krabapple

best burning software

Postby krabapple » Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:47 am

Dave, this one's for you. OVer on SH.tv , I see you 've written:

"Don't get me wrong, I use EAC for burning quite frequently. It's pretty bare-bones, doesn't require a lot of processor clock-time, and if you have everything prepared it can be very convinient. But at home, it only works
about half the time, so I just use NERO to burn."

Since I can't pipe up there, I'll ask here -- what is wrong with your system? Because i've never had the least problem getting EAC to burn a disc. I tend to not use it much for burning *only* because I have other software with friendlier user interfaces, not becuase it ever spat out coasters. But I've certainly used it dozens of times with no hitch (except a time I accidently set it to add a 2-sec gap, and that was my fault).
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:23 am

I've never been able to make EAC burn. It always spits back some kind of "write error" before any burning takes place. I fought with it for a while, was never able to make any progress, and finally gave up and used Nero.

See this thread for more:

http://forums.lukpac.org/viewtopic.php?p=6212

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Xenu
Sellout

Re: best burning software

Postby Xenu » Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:06 pm

krabapple wrote:Since I can't pipe up there, I'll ask here -- what is wrong with your system? Because i've never had the least problem getting EAC to burn a disc. I tend to not use it much for burning *only* because I have other software with friendlier user interfaces, not becuase it ever spat out coasters. But I've certainly used it dozens of times with no hitch (except a time I accidently set it to add a 2-sec gap, and that was my fault).

I was exxagerating a bit. EAC works fine here, and works OK at home, but my home burner is a piece of shit...the errors EAC can cause with it are far more horrific than the errors NERO tends to cause. It's just very burner/system dependent. Besides, there's nothing special about the way it handles .bin/.wav versus how any other program handles it.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:51 am

Oh, BTW, did you know that burning at speeds higher than 1x smears high frequencies? I didn't.
-------------

"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:48 pm

My burner's a bog-standard model CDRW drive that was preinstalled on my Dell PC, vintage 2001. Hasn't given me any problems. Before that I swore by Plextors, but basically, CDRW drives have become commodites at this point.

Since EAC doesn't necessarily give better burns than any other software (unless you are completely anal about write offsets, which I'm not), it's not worth it to tweak it until it works, if something else already works.

As for 'frequency smearing' when burning at >1X , whatever doofus said that, could do well to go read the
FAQ material at www.hydrogenaudio. org, but then again, it might cause their tiny head to explode.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant