anyone here use foobar2000?

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
krabapple

anyone here use foobar2000?

Postby krabapple » Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:16 pm

Sometimes I get faster turnaround on answershere, so I thought I'd ask thse noob questions:

1) not being a programmer, I find the task of formatting of title display info and such to be daunting -- is there a guide to the syntax somewhere? I need to learn how to, for example, make tracks that have a 'classical' genre tag display the info that's in the 'composer' tag when playing.

2) I want to try kernel streaming -- how do I activate it?

( foobar2000 is open source software for playing audio tracks from your Windows platform -- akin to an *extremely* user-configurable version of Winamp or Media Player. "Some of the basic features include ReplayGain support, low memory footprint and native support for several popular audio formats." )
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:58 pm

hydrogenaudio is probably a better place to ask. I tried Foobar for a while, but never really had the time to invest in becoming a power user.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:05 pm

I'll definitely be asking at HA -- jsut thought I'd try here first. I'd like to become a power user of f2000. It seems to ahve the potential to everything I might want. I've been using it mostly in 'default' mode for the past few weeks and I'm already quite impressed with what I can do.

Phil Elliott

Postby Phil Elliott » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:41 pm

Can't answer the first question, but to get Kernel Streaming, go Foobar 2000>Preferences>Output - you then select the output method from the drop down menu over on the right. Then highlight Kernel Streaming on the left to alter the kernel streaming settings. First time you try to play something, you'll get a warning that this mode is "experimental".

You probably know this already, but make sure you've downloaded the normal or special version.

Do you specifically need the kernel streaming mode over the others? Just curious.
"If you knew what I was thinking you'd BE me."

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:38 am

I suspect the reason I can't activate Kernel Streaming is that I am using an old version of foobar2K. (0.8 something) I don't even get a 'Kernal streaming' option in that output preferences pulldown -- just wavout, directout, and null. What version of F2K do you use?

I don't specifically need KS, and I know it's experimental. I'm just curious to hear if bypassing the Windows audio stuff makes a difference. I currently use DirectOut.

Btw, after some more research, it looks like the columns_UI plugin for F2K would solve my title formatting woes. There are so many cool-sounding plugin decriptions for F2K, I'm almost not sure what to play with first . ;>

Phil Elliott

Postby Phil Elliott » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:37 pm

I'm on 0.8.3, and downloaded the "special" version. The lite version doesn't have the KS option.

I'd be interested to hear if it makes a difference. I'd test it myself, but my main audio card is an RME, which doesn't even do WDM, let alone KS (it has low latency MME instead - seriously) ... and the other card is a soundblaster. 'Nuff said.
"If you knew what I was thinking you'd BE me."

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:49 am

Been using it for weeks now, and have no idea if it makes a difference...but it does have 'peace of mind' value for those of us who distrust Microsoft meddling.