Something's wrong with my Highway 61 Revisited SACD...

Want to review the latest CD reissue? Or a 30 year old LP you just picked up? Discuss it all here.
My Avatar Is A Hot Babe

Something's wrong with my Highway 61 Revisited SACD...

Postby My Avatar Is A Hot Babe » Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:01 pm

I recently bid on a sealed copy of STEVE HOFFMAN's breathtaking version of Highway 61 Revisited on Ebay. I needed a new copy in case something happened to the three I already have.

Unfortunately, the idiot seller sent me a copy of the new SACD instead, and I didn't realize his error until I opened it and discovered it was NOT mastered by Steve after all!

Although I don't ordinarily listen to non-Steve Cee Dees, I went ahead and listened to this one. I was alarmed to discover that it actually sounded a bit better than the Steve Cee Dee.

My first reaction was that Steve must have mastered it under a pseudonym, but apparently that isn't the case.

I then considered the possibility that there was a problem with my equipment, so I bought a new stereo system. Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem.

I have finally concluded that the problem is that the SACD has been futzed with, and what sounds like better sound is actually much worse sound, and it's probably damaging my hearing to continue to listen to it. This is probably the fault of either smiley face EQ or the lack of warmth caused by digital transfers being done on machines which are also used to master rap "music" (or as I wittily call it, crap music).

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:28 pm

Any noise reduction or ear bleeding compression?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:30 pm

This one is easy to diagnose.

You need a Hallograph.

Make sure you have some Grover interconnnects nearby too. You won't have enough goosh without them.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

My Avatar Is A Hot Babe

Postby My Avatar Is A Hot Babe » Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:40 pm

lukpac wrote:Any noise reduction or ear bleeding compression?

It sounds more like smiley-faced EQ. It's a real disappointment compared to Steve's version, which sounds exactly like the master tape.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:08 pm

Did you unplug your microwave? What kind of batteries are you powering your "rig"with? Green or black pen? How many Shakti stones are you using? What's the ambient humidity? When did you last shave? Any old people using oxygen nearby? How's your colon?

Quite frankly, I don't see how you expect us to help you when you don't provide this vital information. Read the FAQ. We don't have a FAQ? Well, shit.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:20 pm

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:28 pm

Are you using a SID? Is everything burned in? Have you upgraded your outlets (budget tweak of the year)? Are you rich?

You're not giving us much to go on here.

Just trust your ears.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:26 pm

Patrick M wrote:http://forums.lukpac.org/faq.php

That FAQ is worthless. It does not sufficiently intimidate.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:49 pm

You know, I figured MAIAHB was just having some imaginative fun...exaggerating for effect.

But then I saw this.

Jesus fucking *christ*. :roll:

Rob P

Postby Rob P » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:42 am

Hi Babe,

I haven't heard the DCC Highway 61 before; I'm sure it must be better than the SACD, as Steve uses superior tube mastering equipment for his music restoration projects. You can't trust lesser engineers to use proper equipment in their masterings.

It sounds like you addressed all shortcomings in your stereo, but I would recommend picking up some Shakti Stones and some Grover Interconnects. Just trust your ears. :)

Take care, Rob

P.S. Welcome to the forum! We're glad to have you. :D

Dob

Postby Dob » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:11 am

Rspaight wrote:Did you unplug your microwave? What kind of batteries are you powering your "rig"with? Green or black pen? How many Shakti stones are you using? What's the ambient humidity? When did you last shave? Any old people using oxygen nearby? How's your colon?

Here's one of my all time favorite Humorem (Tom Port) posts, concerning the poor sound of hifis on Saturday afternoons.
Note his unrelenting sarcasm (all kidding aside, I did enjoy his posts)...scroll down for my response.

Regarding the Highway 61 debate...the amount of bewilderment - to the point of fear - that I detect in some of those SHtv posts (and which MAIAHB accurately spoofed) is telling. Exactly what consequences are these people afraid of if they admit that the SACD is better than the gold DCC? They didn't hesitate to proclaim the superiority of the CCR SACDs over the DCC versions...but, of course, those were both done by SH, so I guess that doesn't shake the foundations of their...um...religion?
Dob
-------------------
"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance" -- HL Mencken

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:25 pm

So let's see..Humorem wanted people to try a 'simple experiment' but apparently has no clue about what constitutes a *good* experiment. I'm shocked.

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:33 pm

I get the idea Tom isn't married and doesn't have kids.