Billy Joel - The Stranger & 52nd Street - SACD

Want to review the latest CD reissue? Or a 30 year old LP you just picked up? Discuss it all here.
oxenholme

Billy Joel - The Stranger & 52nd Street - SACD

Postby oxenholme » Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:35 am

I got both of these out of curiosity - I've already got a couple of his SBM reissues.

52nd Street turns out to be pretty good, with a nice aggressive mix making full use of the rear speakers.

The Stranger turns out to be superb, a lovely aggressive mix, and every song on it first rate.

Both discs are single layer multi-channel - I've not tried the stereo, but the sound of the M-C is very much to my liking. They do not sound to me as if any form of noise reduction has been used.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:20 pm

Both of these have very active surround mixes, if you're into that sort of thing. I particularly like in "Zanzibar" on 52nd Street where the trumpet solo is imaged right in the middle of the room to great effect.

I actually like 52nd Street a little better, probably because it isn't as overplayed as The Stranger. Both are fun discs, though.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney