Paul Simon Songbook

Want to review the latest CD reissue? Or a 30 year old LP you just picked up? Discuss it all here.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Paul Simon Songbook

Postby lukpac » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:05 pm

Picked this up today. In general the sound seems fine - I'm not sure what they really could have done for better or worse with it. A few odd notes, though. In a few places the hiss level seems to rise and fall, although it sounds like it's probably just that way on the tape. On A Church Is Burning, however (and possibly other songs - I haven't gotten that far), the highs more or less drop out in a few places. On my (admittedly not great) vinyl dub, this doesn't seem to happen. Tape path problems?

Also, I was always under the impression this was simply recorded in mono. However, the notes mention "Tracks 13 & 14 Mixed by Vic Anesini at Sony Music Studios, NY". If that was the case, why aren't they stereo? And why not remix the whole album, since it's just vocal and guitar anyway?

Also odd - the alternate A Church Is Burning is listed as being from June 23, and is take 4. Yet the released take is take 3, and was recorded on July 5. Huh?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:11 pm

Ok, so the hiss problem doesn't seem to be on this LP dub either. Hmm.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Fri May 07, 2004 2:37 am

Just saw this tonight. That cover looks like crap. And I think they used the font from the second issue.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri May 07, 2004 8:03 am

Yeah, the cover isn't reproduced that nicely.

Second issue? There's another cover included (in B&W), which is the same, only with "regular" text. Was there another cover?

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Fri May 07, 2004 3:11 pm

I think this is the first issue cover:

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri May 07, 2004 6:50 pm

I like that a lot better than the version used for the CD cover. The font on the CD reminds me of this old Genesis (not the UK band) cover:

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Fri May 07, 2004 8:18 pm

Rspaight wrote:The font on the CD reminds me of this old Genesis (not the UK band) cover:

So is that the early incarnation of Van Halen "Genesis"?

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri May 07, 2004 10:07 pm

I dunno, the chick with the long hair could be Roth in drag, and any of the three non-bearded guys could be Michael Anthony.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue May 11, 2004 8:31 pm

Patrick M wrote:I think this is the first issue cover:

According to the tray insert, that's an "Alternate cover from second edition release". So I'd assume the one on the front (which has the picture reversed, BTW) would thus be the first edition.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed May 12, 2004 10:46 pm

Nobody else get this one yet?

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu May 13, 2004 1:25 am

I'm thinking about it. I recall enjoying it.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu May 13, 2004 7:59 am

I've got a clean vinyl copy, so I'm good for the time being.

Ryan