The Who - Real Good Looking Boy/Old Red Wine

Want to review the latest CD reissue? Or a 30 year old LP you just picked up? Discuss it all here.
Rspaight

The Who - Real Good Looking Boy/Old Red Wine

Postby Rspaight » Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:24 pm

I went ahead and got these off iTunes.

"Real Good Looking Boy" isn't a bad song -- lyrically it's fairly interesting and the chorus hook is decent -- but there's not a lot of melody in the spoken/sung verses and the arrangement doesn't breathe. It reminds me quite a bit of "Uneasy Street," the Psychoderelict outtake on the Townshend greatest hits that I refuse to type out the full name of. As an album track, it's fine -- as a much-hyped return to studio work, it's weak.

"Old Red Wine" is more melodic, more dynamic and more interesting. It's seems less fussed over than "Boy" and is the better for it. There's a bit in the second half where the band rocks out credibly. I knew they had it in them from live performances, but it's good to see they can do it in the studio. I haven't quite sussed out the lyrics quite yet. This isn't a killer track either, but it's good.

I'm really not expecting dynamite, classic singles out of Townshend and Daltrey at this stage, but these tracks aren't an embarrassment. Based on these, I'll definitely be getting the album when/if it shows up. Still, I wouldn't buy Then & Now just for these two when there's a $2 (or less :)) online alternative.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:24 pm

I had Then & Now in my hands this afternoon (a friend got it early), although I didn't actually pop it in the player. I did hear both tracks on the radio already, though. Not great, but not bad. Kind of in a Face Dances/It's Hard mould, I guess.

Pino plays bass on ORW, BTW - for some reason I thought Greg Lake played on both tracks.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:10 pm

Pino plays bass on ORW, BTW - for some reason I thought Greg Lake played on both tracks.

I was wondering about that. That's the thing about downloads -- no good info.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:58 pm

lukpac wrote:Kind of in a Face Dances/It's Hard mould, I guess.

At least they weren't in the "Bob" mould.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:08 pm

Heh. I dunno -- I'll take the "Bob" mould over the Face Dances/It's Hard, er, "mould."

Sugar does a great cover version of "Armenia City in the Sky" as a B-Side on the "Good Idea" single. It's also on the Besides CD.

Ryan