Temptations - Greatest Hits

Want to review the latest CD reissue? Or a 30 year old LP you just picked up? Discuss it all here.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Temptations - Greatest Hits

Postby lukpac » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:14 pm

I remember when this (the Kevin Reeves remaster) came out in 1998 everybody raved about it - "it's 20-bit remastered!" I picked it up, and at the time thought it sounded fine. Listening today, though, it seems *really* bright and thin, even for that era of Motown. I don't know what they used for sources (one song is fake stereo), but the sound certainly isn't very pleasing. Do that many people really think that "brighter is better"?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Ron

Postby Ron » Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:41 pm

I think that most [still] agree that the Bill Inglot 2-CD set is the best available.
Dr. Ron :mrgreen:TM "Do it 'till you're sick of it. Do it 'till you can't do it no more." Jesse Winchester

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:56 pm

Which set is that? Mono or stereo?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

chrischross

Re: Temptations - Greatest Hits

Postby chrischross » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:47 am

lukpac wrote:I remember when this (the Kevin Reeves remaster) came out in 1998 everybody raved about it - "it's 20-bit remastered!" I picked it up, and at the time thought it sounded fine. Listening today, though, it seems *really* bright and thin, even for that era of Motown. I don't know what they used for sources (one song is fake stereo), but the sound certainly isn't very pleasing. Do that many people really think that "brighter is better"?

Sorry to be so dense here -- I see "Ulitmate Collection" from 1997, "Anthology" from 1995, and then "My Girl: The Best of The Temptations" from 2002. Only the "My Girl" comp is listed as mastered by Kevin Reeves.

So which "Greatest Hits" are we talking about??

The only Inglot mastered Temptations I see is the "Hum Along and Dance" set. But that can't be right, as that is only B-sides and obscurities.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:36 pm

This is a 1998 reissue of the original ('60s) "Greatest Hits". 12 tracks. "20-Bit Digitally Remastered by Kevin Reeves at PolyGram Studios." 314530853-2

Ron

Postby Ron » Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:47 am

lukpac wrote:Which set is that? Mono or stereo?

It's the 2-CD set [with slip cover] from 1995 or so with [I believe] the original mono single mixes.
Dr. Ron :mrgreen:TM "Do it 'till you're sick of it. Do it 'till you can't do it no more." Jesse Winchester

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:04 pm

The 1995 2-CD anthology was not mastered by Bill Inglot, but Danny Caccavo. But the sound is great, nevertheless. All tracks in chronological order. The first CD (from The Way You Do The Things You Do to The Impossible Dream) is mono, the second CD (from Cloud Nine to Lady Soul) is stereo.

(Motown 530 524-2)

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:25 pm

Yeah, I should have remembered that...Danny's a nice guy...

I seem to remember him saying that Motown wanted things brighter than he would have liked or something.