Office Of Strategic Influence OSI

Want to review the latest CD reissue? Or a 30 year old LP you just picked up? Discuss it all here.
britre

Office Of Strategic Influence OSI

Postby britre » Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:59 pm

I am guessing most of the readers of this board are not familliar with Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Transatlantic, or Chroma Key. However, you all might enjoy the combination of the members of these bands called "OSI, Office of Strategic Influence" http://www.osiband.com/

This is a band that sounds like a project earthed by Richard Wright of Pink Floyd. Kevin Moore has done his damnest to imitate a fair percentage of Richard's style both solo and with Pink Floyd, Mike Portnoy has finnaly toned down his in your face drumming and production, and I never cared for Fates Warning, but this is listenable.

Striking tunes such as "Hello Helecopter", and "Standby" are totally the listenable side of Progressive rock without harsh key and timing changes, or talent wars.

The album gets a bit heavy and compressed at a few points, but for the most part has a very airy sound, and a few samples of news clips for effect, but none of the attempts most moderen producers make at imitating Pink Floyd and 70's progressive by using special mixing effects to compensate for badly written songs and content.

Speaking of Pink Floyd, there are two cover songs present. "Set Controls For The Heart Of The Sun" is very original while retaining it's character and recognizability. With most bands if they even make attempts to cover complicated good songs, it is usually a peice of crap not worthy of any listening. Niel Young's "New Mama" is also covered making a somewhat ok song more fluid and moderen sounding. The fact they decided upon this Neil Young song makes you take notice that this band is not trying to chart hits, or sell CD's for profit. They simply enjoy making music which is what these new darlings of former metal prog bands have matured too. Quite refreshing.

I also reccomend Transatlantic, Bridge Across Forever. While not as mello and far left as OSI, it is more later Beatlesque in nature, borrowing many of it's tecniques from the White Album through Abbey Road period. I am sure most of you will enjoy these two interesting newer albums.

And hey, this blows away Britney or Eminem, it's funny how record companies and the public can't dicern good from bad music. But fortunately for us Audiophiles, we get the good end of that stick :D

Patrick M

Re: Office Of Strategic Influence OSI

Postby Patrick M » Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:15 pm

britre wrote:I am guessing most of the readers of this board are not familliar with Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Transatlantic, or Chroma Key.

In my best John McLaughlin voice:

WRONG!

Although I'll admit I hadn't heard of OSI till last week.

Have you heard Explorer's Club - Raising the Mammoth? I just sold my copy...hated it.

britre

Postby britre » Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:30 pm

Patrick M wrote:
britre wrote:I am guessing most of the readers of this board are not familliar with Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Transatlantic, or Chroma Key.

Have you heard Explorer's Club - Raising the Mammoth? I just sold my copy...hated it.

I have not heard it, but I am gonna trust your opinion based on the fact you said nothing bad about OSI, so that must mean Explorer's Club sucked so bad you made every effort to recover your losses quickly...

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:50 pm

britre wrote:I have not heard it, but I am gonna trust your opinion based on the fact you said nothing bad about OSI, so that must mean Explorer's Club sucked so bad you made every effort to recover your losses quickly...

I actually haven't heard OSI yet. I like Dream Theater, although I'm not too keen on LaBrie. I like Liquid Tension Experiment and Bozzio Levin Stevens a lot.

Ed (house in the country Ed) likes Niacin a lot, but I haven't heard them.

britre

Postby britre » Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:46 pm

Patrick M wrote:
britre wrote:I have not heard it, but I am gonna trust your opinion based on the fact you said nothing bad about OSI, so that must mean Explorer's Club sucked so bad you made every effort to recover your losses quickly...

I actually haven't heard OSI yet. I like Dream Theater, although I'm not too keen on LaBrie. I like Liquid Tension Experiment and Bozzio Levin Stevens a lot.

Ed (house in the country Ed) likes Niacin a lot, but I haven't heard them.

same here, LaBrie has his good and bad moments. He is a metal leftover, but sometimes he really can sing and hold a tune. LTE was great as well as Spocks Beard and other DT mutations. I simply can't figure out where they get all that cashflow for studio time??

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:49 pm

britre wrote:I simply can't figure out where they get all that cashflow for studio time??

In the case of King's X, both the guitarist and bassist have their own studios, and I don't think they're rolling in dough. I think it's probably very economical to release on these smaller labels (Favored Nations, Magna Carta, Metal Blade, etc) + the proliferation of digital recording, ProTools, etc has made it relatively cheap to record your own stuff. King's X has also gone to producing all their own albums. Unfortunately, music and sonic quality sometimes suffers big time with self-production.

britre

Postby britre » Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:56 pm

I have to agree with you Patrick, and that is a side I never considered.

You are right, sometimes the artist is not the best producer/engineer and vice versa...