Apocalypse Now Redux

Want to review the latest CD reissue? Or a 30 year old LP you just picked up? Discuss it all here.
Patrick M

Apocalypse Now Redux

Postby Patrick M » Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:11 am

Just finished watching this last night. I had bought the DVD a while back, but never got around to devoting the 3+ hours to it.

To anyone who has seen it: what was the point? They added 49 minutes of stuff, but I'm not sure they really added anything. The scene with the guys screwing the playmates seemed gratuitous at best. The scene at the French plantation seemed like it derailed the progression of the narrative in the interest of, I guess, making some points about the killer/lover duality and American intervention in Vietnam.

Thoughts?

In terms of the DVD itself - nothing too special. There is an English subtitle, but no commentary track. I really wanted a commentary track, to know why Coppola re-added the scenes.

Although it's been years since I saw the original, my instinct tells me it was best left as it was.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:31 am

I tend to agree. It's an interesting alternative, but the original flowed much better.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney