All Things Must Pass: Mickboy or Desjardins?

Want to review the latest CD reissue? Or a 30 year old LP you just picked up? Discuss it all here.
Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri May 07, 2004 11:48 am

lukpac wrote:Hrmm. Not having heard it I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I've ceased being surprised at how *bad* a lot of dubs are that people cream over. The old "Original Master Recordings" boot is a great example. Then again, so are many of the things I've heard coming from some people over at SH.tv.

Yeah, it was amazing how many people drooled all over themselves re. OMR. Belmo wrote in one of his books that you could hear the musicians' fingers on the strings of their guitars....[i]isn't that amazing[/b]? Three CDR copies later, I still hadn't found one that didn't have the hilarious phazing glitches throughout With the Beatles, and that didn't have some of the heaviest click reduction I had ever heard.

Re ATMP, though, Chris's rip is really fairly good. It's the version I listen to nowadays.

(generally, I save myself from this particular comparison problem by only doing vinyl rips of titles that nobody wants. Yeah, my version of the mono Let's Live For Today might not be a sonic orgasm, but if anybody wanted it, they'd have no choice in the matter. Score!)
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri May 07, 2004 11:14 pm

Yesman wrote:
Like all those early CD's everyone seems to love sourced from LP masters or high generation tapes. Most are truly awful sounding. I feel some people love them simply because they have tape hiss. :roll:

Oh, you must mean the From Unknown Copy Ttape CD phenomenon, where worn tapes with muffled high-end receive praise because they're "natural" and have a lot of hiss. Lots of people seem to enjoy these FUCT CDs, and I can occasionally see why; they are pleasant, and they rarely have the piercing-high-end problem that so many dislike. Many FUCT CDs are also visited lovingly by our friend Analogue Distortion, who smears lots of frequencies around and gets a nice, warm result.

I have a problem recommending these objectively, however. You're absolutely right: many people overreact to the no-noise issue and embrace the idea that hiss=good. No. Hiss=bad, but necessary. Attacking hiss with no-noise=currently a worse solution to that problem.
-------------

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat May 08, 2004 11:17 am

Yesman wrote:Both are a little too de-clicked for my tastes though. Todd Fredericks is still the king of elimnating noise from needle drops.

I'd be curious what you think of some of these:

Buffalo Springfield - Bluebird (long version)

Doors - Touch Me (quad mix)

The Who - Young Man Blues

The Rolling Stones - Everybody Needs Somebody To Love (stereo mix)

Almost all have a few stray clicks and pops here and there that I just haven't bothered to get, but other than that...
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu May 20, 2004 11:00 pm

What happened to Yesman??
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Chris Desjardin

Postby Chris Desjardin » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:15 pm

Time for another (my FIFTH!) go at remastering ATMP. I recently did a 4th version that took the existing remaster (#3), put sides 1-4 on disc 1, and then put the Apple Jam and about a dozen newly remastered bonus tracks on disc 2. It's so nice to have the entire first 2 records on 1 disc. I could honestly live without the Apple Jam stuff. But now, I have just received a cd-r copy of the Japanese pressing (mint!) I sent to someone who recorded it using a $33,000 all tube system. The guy's turntable alone goes for over 10 grand! When I heard these discs, I was absolutely blown away with the quality. It was so damn silky smooth it made my previous attempts pale in comparison. Couple this new superb source with the fact that I've learned a great deal about declicking in Adobe Audition, and I think this will finally be the definitive version. I'll be starting work on it soon.

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:19 pm

How do FLO members go about procuring such an item?
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:11 am

Chris Desjardin wrote:Time for another (my FIFTH!) go at remastering ATMP. I recently did a 4th version that took the existing remaster (#3), put sides 1-4 on disc 1, and then put the Apple Jam and about a dozen newly remastered bonus tracks on disc 2. It's so nice to have the entire first 2 records on 1 disc. I could honestly live without the Apple Jam stuff. But now, I have just received a cd-r copy of the Japanese pressing (mint!) I sent to someone who recorded it using a $33,000 all tube system. The guy's turntable alone goes for over 10 grand! When I heard these discs, I was absolutely blown away with the quality. It was so damn silky smooth it made my previous attempts pale in comparison. Couple this new superb source with the fact that I've learned a great deal about declicking in Adobe Audition, and I think this will finally be the definitive version. I'll be starting work on it soon.

You and your planned upgrades...;)
-------------