Elvis 2nd to None

Want to review the latest CD reissue? Or a 30 year old LP you just picked up? Discuss it all here.
Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:54 pm

lukpac wrote:Yes. Mr. Hunte forwarded it on...

"I don't want to waste too much time on Internet discussions. So I'll still read the forums, forward interesting content, and engage in phone conversations about said interesting content. Thus, I will 'get my life back.' I am eminently logical."

-DRM

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:59 pm

And I must admit when I read his prose I wondered if we had listened to same CD.

That's kind of funny. Mr. "Monkboughtlunch" is convinced he's got a top-secret copy-protected pressing, so maybe Bob got a one-of-a-kind "ultra-compressed" pressing. Who knows?

But he is there to defend His Master's work so in that sense he is doing an excellent job.

The odd thing is, no one ever said the DCC disc was bad. It's not, not by a long shot. You and I (and others on SH.tv) just think the new disc is comparable or even superior in some respects. But Bob went ballistic on it. Weird. Oh, well, different strokes and all that.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Mike Hunte
Senior Troll

Postby Mike Hunte » Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:39 pm

Patrick M wrote:
lukpac wrote:Yes. Mr. Hunte forwarded it on...

"I don't want to waste too much time on Internet discussions. So I'll still read the forums, forward interesting content, and engage in phone conversations about said interesting content. Thus, I will 'get my life back.' I am eminently logical."

-DRM

You're really gonna have to get a handle on that crush you have on me, Patrick.

thomh

Postby thomh » Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:51 am

Ryan,

Mr. Lovely just posted this:

Last night, I conducted further listening 'tests' - the following is the result of deeper listening:

1) The Mono tracks are the real stars of this disc and I believe this can be attributed to use of the 'right' tapes and Vic Anesini's EQ choices. Many of tracks are nicely dynamic with clarity and definition. For these tracks alone, the disc gets my recommendation. Anesini deserves due credit on the mastering of the Mono tracks.

2) I cannot recommend the following Stereo tracks because of added compression and limiting:

'A Mess Of Blues'
'I Feel So Good'
'Little Sister' [the worst offender when compared to '24 K Hits']
'Kentucky Rain'
'An American Trilogy'
'Promised Land'

My criticism is not regarding Anesini's EQ choices on the Stereo tracks. Most of his choices are compelling. On the above referenced tracks, the dynamic range has been reduced by about 25 - 30% I estimate. On a dynamic master the are individual peaks in each channel that naturally occur at different levels by channel, at different times. Not on this disc. The peaks on each channel are at the same level, all the time - a sure sign of limiting. This processing makes the referenced tracks more in your face sounding and less dynamic. I can clearly hear a difference. On a naturally dynamic track like 'An American Trilogy' this results in the softer passages being louder and the more powerful passages being the shaved off. Based on comments made here yesterday, I suspect that the added compression and limiting occurred at the mixing stage.

This being said, for some, the new Stereo mixes and the processing, as executed, may be more compelling as a listening experience - just not for me. On 'Little Sister', I'll take the vintage Bill Porter mix as mastered by Steve - hands down, it breathes naturally.

Limiting and compression are a natural part of the multitrack mixing process. I just do not know how you can make a multitrack production sound good without it. The problem is when they are abused. But I just do *not* hear this done here. These mixes sound wonderful to me.

When you have the time could you provide some graphs of suitable passages of f.ex. Kentucky Rain and An American Trilogy.

Thom
Thom

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:42 am

Sure, I can do some more graphs. I'm definitely getting my $10 worth out of this disc. :)

I have to comment, though, on this:

On a dynamic master the are individual peaks in each channel that naturally occur at different levels by channel, at different times. Not on this disc. The peaks on each channel are at the same level, all the time - a sure sign of limiting.

He's gotta be looking at a different "Little Sister" than I am, because the two channels are definitely not in lock-step on a level meter (unless it's a level meter with very low resolution). Heck, you can look at the waveform I posted above and see that.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:35 am

Where did you find it for $10? I was in Disc Jockey last night, and their 'regular' price is $19.99 (on sale for $13.99).

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:32 pm

Best Buy. It's stickered at $14.99 but is on sale for $9.99 this week. I hear tell Target's got it for $10 as well.

They both are offering bonus discs with different content (see my post further up in this thread).

Ryan

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:07 pm

I have no idea what Bob is talking about, as thanks to Ryan, I just compared Little Sister from the DCC and the new disc. They are *remarkably* similar. I'd say I might have a slight preference to the DCC disc, but really, they are pretty much too close to care, IMO.

Compressed? I don't think so.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:36 pm

OK, one more then I think we've beaten this to death.

Here's the last minute or so of "Kentucky Rain":

You could make a valid argument that things are getting a bit cramped toward the end there, but I've seen much worse. It ain't perfect, but it sounds good to me.

Ryan

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:25 pm

Absolutely random question, as I don't own any Elvis. At all.

What's the best iteration of the Sun material? As I figure that's the stuff I'll probably like most...
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

MK

Postby MK » Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:52 pm

Unless you've got cash to burn, a great turntable, and the time to search for mint copies of the original 78's and/or 45's, the affordable alternatives on CD are "Sunrise" and the complete 50's box set, the former two discs, the latter five.

Both are available through BMG cheap, and have pretty much the same sound. There's only one other CD with all the important Sun material, and that's the "Sun Sessions CD," with the hand-tinted photo of Elvis on the cover and the blue background. This CD uses real fucked-up dubs with poor EQ and extra echo. Supposedly these were processed stereo and reprocessed into mono, too.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:18 pm

I've got that "Sun Sessions CD," and it is indeed pretty fucked up. I'm gonna get either "Sunrise" or the 50s box at some point.

Ryan