Iron Maiden Rock in Rio DVD

Want to review the latest CD reissue? Or a 30 year old LP you just picked up? Discuss it all here.
Patrick M

Iron Maiden Rock in Rio DVD

Postby Patrick M » Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:14 pm

Kicks ass. The review on allmusic.com is negative, because the reviewer has some bias against a) the Blaze Bayley years and b) Brave New World.

I'll admit I don't know squat about a), because I never bought any Maiden releases after 7th Son (the point at which most people think Maiden went south), but I have no big problems with the two included songs from that era.

Also, I love Brave New World, and was amazed they still had an 'old school' album of that quality in them.

Anyway, the video is one giant adrenaline rush. They play in front of 250k screaming Brazilians, and the energy is palpable. (The allmusic dude rags them for filiming in Rio because that was the only place they could get an audience that big.)

This lineup, of course, features the three guitar attack as on Brave New World (Murray/Smith/Gers). Dickinson looks great and seems to have boundless energy. The dorkiest looking guy by far is Nicko, who is wearing some really embarassing getup.

BTW, Live after Death is also excellent.

[This review submitted for the benefit of no one, because I realize none of you are into this sort of thing.]
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.