Deep Purple: Deep Purple

Want to review the latest CD reissue? Or a 30 year old LP you just picked up? Discuss it all here.
balthazar

Deep Purple: Deep Purple

Postby balthazar » Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:43 am

Currently listening to Deep Purple's third album, Deep Purple. It was the last album recorded by the Mark I line-up of Blackmore, Lord, Paice, Evans, and Simper. In just a few months Evans and Simper would be sacked and replaced by Ian Gillan and Roger Glover, respectively.

This is the remastered version on Spitfire records, with five bonus tracks, including "Emmaretta," the b-side to the alternate a-side single of "Bird Has Flown."

Many of the tracks are very psychedelic sounding, still showing the influence of Vanilla Fudge. The album only sports one cover, a pensive, languishing version of Donovan's "Lalena." (I actually like it better than the original.) The vocals are wistful, and Lord's organ is reflective and morose.

The playing on the whole album is spot-on, with some brilliant solos from Lord and Blackmore. Some of the songs, like "Chasing Shadows," "Fault Line/The Painter," and "Why Didn't Rosemary" show a taste of the harder edge Blackmore wanted. They also show some experimentation, "Chasing Shadows" especially. Paice's drums are heavy in the mix, overdubbed and backtracked, and sound almost frantic in their support of the nightmarish lyrics.

The last album cut, "April," however, shows the symphonic rock sound Lord was heading for, and in retrospect seems almost like a prelude to his "Concerto for Group and Orchestra." It's long, almost a pastoral piece before the vocals begin at over five minutes into the song. Another pensive, reflective song, but this time with almost bitter lyrics.

When I first bought the album, I was pleasantly surprised by it. The studio work is brilliant. When I upgraded to the remastered version, I was a little disappointed by the live performances. Just a few months later, though, and the "Concerto" was performed at the Royal Albert Hall. The performance is tight, though a little "by-the-book." But just three years would bring Made in Japan, one of the best live performances ever.

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Fri Apr 11, 2003 3:44 pm

Deep Purple...isn't that Tommy Bolin's old band?
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

balthazar

Tommy Bolin

Postby balthazar » Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:12 pm

Deep Purple...isn't that Tommy Bolin's old band?

If that's the only Deep Purple you know, then I feel sorry for you.

Patrick M

Re: Tommy Bolin

Postby Patrick M » Fri Apr 11, 2003 6:57 pm

balthazar wrote:If that's the only Deep Purple you know, then I feel sorry for you.

I know a lot about sarcasm. :P