Beefheart - Plain Brown Wrapper - Sundazed LP

Want to review the latest CD reissue? Or a 30 year old LP you just picked up? Discuss it all here.
JWB

Beefheart - Plain Brown Wrapper - Sundazed LP

Postby JWB » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:03 am

I just wanted y'all to know that I picked this up, and all the hype surrounding it is just that...hype. It doesn't sound as good as the old sequel disc. It's shrill and "baked" sounding and the stereo channels aren't as wide. If it comes from better tapes, then it wasn't mastered very well. The vinyl they used is also semi-noisy, which ruins quiet spots and fadeouts. The dynamic range is identical. So, the Sequel disc reigns supreme after a little EQ tweaking. The alternate Moody Liz is nice, but it's about all the LP is worth. I don't know what they've been saying on SHitTV, but you can take my word for it.

JWB

Postby JWB » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:50 am

I just did a comparison of "Korn Ring Finger" (the lone song out) and the two CD sources have a ton of hiss. The LP has much less, which I thought was good, until I listened closer and realized that the Sundazed version has been heavily NR'd. That's right folks!

"Grow Fins" is the best source for that track, believe it or not. It sounds so much better than the Sundazed LP, it's not even funny.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:13 am

JWB wrote:I just did a comparison of "Korn Ring Finger" (the lone song out) and the two CD sources have a ton of hiss. The LP has much less, which I thought was good, until I listened closer and realized that the Sundazed version has been heavily NR'd. That's right folks!

Clips? That seems pretty surprising, to say the least.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

JWB

Postby JWB » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:12 pm

Grow Fins (Remastered) vs. Sundazed LP:

https://www.yousendit.com/download/Q01GSXQ1YUlTSUEwTVE9PQ

JWB

Postby JWB » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:19 am

Something else I noticed about the Sundazed LP:

Gimme Dat Harp Boy fades out instead of ending cold like the CD!

JWB

Postby JWB » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:34 am

There is an obvious digital skip/glitch during the intro of "Beatle Bones". Half a beat is missing.

The list keeps on growing.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:33 am

E-mail Sundazed?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

prof. stoned

Postby prof. stoned » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:57 pm

OMG, that second fragment sounds like a 128 kbps mp3 of a track w/ already too much digital NR!
Even a non audiophile ear can easily hear this is not right.
I really love their vinyl releases so far but this is unacceptable and very disturbing.

JWB

Postby JWB » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:03 am

lukpac wrote:E-mail Sundazed?

As opposed to complaining here? What would the point be? I've already written reviews for the Beefheart site and elsewhere.

prof. stoned wrote:OMG, that second fragment sounds like a 128 kbps mp3 of a track w/ already too much digital NR!

Bad, isn't it?

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:41 am

JWB wrote:As opposed to complaining here? What would the point be? I've already written reviews for the Beefheart site and elsewhere.

Just to see what the heck may be going on.

JWB

Postby JWB » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:38 pm

lukpac wrote:Just to see what the heck may be going on.

It probably wouldn't do any good.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:50 am

Couldn't hurt, could it?

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:36 pm

I'm mildly surprised that a) they bothered to release this, and b) did such a poor job, via JWB. Releasing it under the "Plain Brown Wrapper" title was doubly deceptive.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911