Piper Deluxe

Want to review the latest CD reissue? Or a 30 year old LP you just picked up? Discuss it all here.
Xenu
Sellout

Piper Deluxe

Postby Xenu » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:15 pm

Um.

Why couldn't we have gotten, like, more of where "Mathilda Mother" came from?

That is all.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

JWB

Re: Piper Deluxe

Postby JWB » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:21 am

Xenu wrote:Um.

Why couldn't we have gotten, like, more of where "Mathilda Mother" came from?

That is all.

What do you mean? What's included in the 3-CD set is pretty much everything that exists from the Piper sessions. Abbey Road wiped almost everything. The fact that the alternate Matilda and Interstellar exist is a miracle in and of itself. All that's left in the vault are a few incomplete mutli-tracks and some rough mixes that barely differ from the LP mixes.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:26 am

I got the impression from Chris's post that there were a few (but not many) bits similar to Mathilda in there. Sorry.
-------------

JWB

Postby JWB » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:48 am

Well there's the full take 2 rough mix of Interstellar which arguably could have been used instead of the French EP version, and a rough mix of Chapter 24 which may or may not be much different than the final mix. Then there are some multitracks for Arnold Layne, Candy, Matilda Mother and Paintbox. They are not the final mutli's though, they are session-in-progress tapes. They threw away the final mutlis and kept the outtakes. Brilliant!

Beyond that there is pre-Piper stuff that was not included, and one must assume that the post-Piper stuff is being saved for a Saucerful deluxe.

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:47 pm

JWB wrote:Well there's the full take 2 rough mix of Interstellar which arguably could have been used instead of the French EP version, and a rough mix of Chapter 24 which may or may not be much different than the final mix. Then there are some multitracks for Arnold Layne, Candy, Matilda Mother and Paintbox. They are not the final mutli's though, they are session-in-progress tapes. They threw away the final mutlis and kept the outtakes. Brilliant!

Beyond that there is pre-Piper stuff that was not included, and one must assume that the post-Piper stuff is being saved for a Saucerful deluxe.

Actually that alternate Ch. 24 is a completely different performance than the album version. Take 5 was marked 'best' and they added overdubs (bells, harmonium, and cymbal). The next day they recorded a new backing track (take 6) and that's the take that received vocal overdubs and ended up on the album. A rough mix of take 5 survives. It's on the same reel as the full take 2 Interstellar rough mix.
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

JWB

Postby JWB » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:13 am

I stand corrected. Sucks that they didn't include that!

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:39 pm

Is the 3-CD version out yet? Barnes and Noble has it in their computer as a 9/11 release. All I found was the stereo/mono 2 disc set.
Craig

JWB

Postby JWB » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:36 am

Yeah, 3-CD set supposedly comes out on the 11th.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:42 pm

I hope that the standard for reissues hasn't shifted. Does this realllly need to be an expensive, three-disc set? And is there some sort of unwritten law that states that "Candy and a Currant Bun" can never be on a widely-available, inexpensive, general-stock disc? Seriously. Shine-On, Early Singles, and now this do not a comprehensive sampling make.

Oh well. I'm glad it happened...I just can't help but feel a little unsatisfied.
-------------