The Replacements - Sire albums

Want to review the latest CD reissue? Or a 30 year old LP you just picked up? Discuss it all here.
MK

The Replacements - Sire albums

Postby MK » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:27 pm

Rhino is planning to reissue these with bonus tracks, but you may want to hold on to the originals.

That probably goes without saying, since Rhino usually compresses everything nowadays, in addition to the usual treble boost. But, I was burning a 'Mats comp and opened a few up to adjust the volume - the stuff from Tim and Pleased To Meet Me were already maxing out. Surprising 'cause these are VERY quiet recordings, they're just REALLY dynamic on these CD's. Both probably came from the original master tapes because they date from the CD era; Pleased To Meet Me is even a digital recording.

Compare them to All For Nothing..., mastered by Bob Ludwig around 1995 or so. That disc is really smashed with a sharp boost on the top end.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Beatlesfan03

Re: The Replacements - Sire albums

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:09 pm

MK wrote:Rhino is planning to reissue these with bonus tracks, but you may want to hold on to the originals.

That probably goes without saying, since Rhino usually compresses everything nowadays, in addition to the usual treble boost.

Funny you should say that, slightly OT, but I've noticed that as well. I picked up the Jesus and Mary Chain 21 Singles and that disc is real loud. The 1st track on that disc "Upsidedown" is unlistenable though that may have been more of the artist's intention. Same thing with the "Very Best of The Smiths" (though not Rhino, but WSM same difference in the corporate world) although not as harsh as the JAMC CD.

Is this a simply a case of Inglot having to give in to the corporate demands to squash the shit out of everything?
Craig

Alexander Keith

Postby Alexander Keith » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:38 pm

The new "Best Of" that came out on Rhino earlier this year should give a clue to what these new reissues will sound like.

I am definitely holding on to the original CD's.
Barry